cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 29

Re: End of The Line With BT

The minimum speed guarantee is not the speed your connection will be limited to , it’s simply the level at which you can be released from any minimum term if your speed is consistently below it , if it’s much worse than it was previously, it could be you have  a fault that has never been reported , and the minimum speed is based on your actual performance, which has  been reduced due to this defect, or it could be due to more users on the cabinet and the resultant crosstalk .

There is no reason why your performance will be any worse than what you currently have , if you have  F1 and your line was never capable of 55Mb , then the upgrade may not provide any  better download but potentially improve the upload, if your line is capable of better than 55Mb then the download may improve, if your line does indeed have a defect,  is reported and repaired, but you haven’t provided the predicted speeds for your location, of the line data from your router , so no one can say if your line is underperforming or not, but minimum speed is not a imposed limit 

As far as DV not working during a power cut , are these genuinely an issue ? If so get onto your distribution network operator (DNO )

Do you have a corded phone or mains powered cordless phones ? If it’s the latter,  they wouldn’t work during a power cut anyway , and the overwhelming majority have a mobile phone anyway.

Message 22 of 29

Just in case you are not aware. If you presently use cordless phones, if you loose power they will not work. Out of interest, hw often do you loose power and if it is frequently have you made a complaint to your electricity supplier?

Do you have a mobile phone? If you do and assuming you get a good signal at home  this would be your backup in a power outage. What sort of package do you have with your mobile phone, ie do you have unlimited calls, texts etc. If you do why are you even bothering with a land line phone and paying for an unlimited call package.

If you are on Fibre One and move to Fibre Two despite what the "guarantee" states you will get the best speed that your line can support and at the very least it will be the same as your present speeds.

The "guarantee" is discussed at length in this thread if you are interested.

Re: stayfast guarantee complaint - BT Community

Message 23 of 29

The F1 current service is irrelvant. With the guarantee being 34 the new connection will be FTTP so should be at 74

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 29

Something odd here , it’s correct to say the OP originally stated ‘fibre’ and DV , although fibre is a term sometimes used with FTTC as well as FTTP , states ‘new’ kit will be fitted , but also states that the minimum speed guarantee is less with the  ‘new’ F2 service, than it is was with  the existing Fibre 1 deal , that in part is why I assumed they were not getting FTTP but remaining on FTTC , 

Perhaps the OP can confirm if it’s ‘full fibre’  or not , 

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 29

Sorry guys,

All these recent replies have lost me with the technical mumbo jumbo. I know you know what you're talking about but I'm afraid I simply don't understand. I haven't a clue what I am getting apart from I know it is "Fibre 2" and supposed to give higher speeds.

We both have mobiles with unlimited minutes but we feel you get much better clarity with a landline, hence the need to keep it. Mobiles are great but they are open to go into "black spots" where the conversation is lost.

I will just have to wait for the engineer to appear where I can get more information on my package. The agent(s) at the call centre were not very forthcoming with information. At times, it was like drawing teeth..........

Regards,

Trev012

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

Its fairly simple really, if you are being ‘upgraded’ to FTTP , with an engineer visit , new connection to the ‘full fibre’ network and you are getting Fibre 2 , you get 80Mb , there is no reduction in speed due to line length/quality , you get the full speed , however your posts are slightly contradictory in that you  imply you are being upgraded to FTTP but also state your minimum speed guarantee is worse, both cannot be true.

I suspect that the reality is that your initial post is not an upgrade to FTTP as you imply, but to DV , they are not the same , DV your phone service via  the broadband router , this is the same with FTTC ( which you are already on ) and FTTP which is ‘full fibre’.

If your line isn’t  capable of F1 speeds ( 55Mb ) then from a download point of view , 80Mb the maximum speed from F2 is not achievable, that’s just physics, however if your line is capable of faster than 55Mb but is not even reaching F1 speeds , because of ‘issues’ , and those issues are sorted out , then you may get better speed than you currently get, but simply going from F1 to F2 with no further investigation etc. , your download speed will be the same as it is now , regardless of the ‘upgrade’

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 29

The engineer visit would also point towards FTTP, there's no need for one if still FTTC

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 29

Perhaps if the agent in the call centre advised me what I was getting I could provide you all the details. But they don't, possibly because they don't know fully themselves, as I found out later [But that's another issue].

It's all very well for you guys in the industry but I would imagine at least 80% of customers are unaware of the difference between  FTTP & FTTC etc....

The agents are just there to sell the products, including mobile phones and SIM cards, which I keep telling them I don't need.

As previously stated, I'll found out more when the Openreach engineer turns up.

Regards,

Trev012

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 29

*Find*

0 Ratings