cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

FTTP being blocked in retirement flats

I'm in a block of retirement flats that has recently had FTTP made available. Myself and several others had FTTP installed no problem. Anyone currently applying is being refused as Openreach and ISP claim there is a careline - the old system did work on the phoneline, but the new one works another way. Residents are able to order lines themselves, but not have a detailed discussion on carelines to try and get the job done. 

What we believe has happened is Ofcom and Openreach have had yet another change of direction on this and blocking any FTTP installs where they think there is a careline. The refusal is being done from the office and no engineer attends. I believe these are all new contracts on existing lines, but they may be offered FTTC which I guess would also be offered for a new line.

What the manager and I believe is some or all of the flats in the Openreach database are flagged as having carelines which is no longer the case. We want to get that removed for all flats, but of course Openreach say talk to the ISP which we can't. The problem arises only when an individual resident places an order.

Is there a way the manager can contact Openreach and get that done? They sent a small army to install the fibre but now many can't use it! Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: FTTP being blocked in retirement flats

@andrewdeacon51 

Because if you order FTTP,  the phone service is moved over to BT Digital Voice. If there is a record of a careline to any of the flats, then the order will be rejected, as its not currently allowed, owing to recent safety issues when customers were left without personal alarms.

I am assuming you are referring to BT consumer customers, as this is a BT customer forum?

If people are not BT customers, then they need to contact their own provider to get this resolved, as this forum has no connection with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

I am BT as are some others which why I am here. Issue is we want the careline flag removed from all the flats en masse by Openreach, so individuals can order FTTP no problem from whatever ISP, which may be BT.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@andrewdeacon51 

I doubt Openreach has the ability to do that, they would have to do it on an order from an ISP, so its up to each individual customer to ask their ISP to get the flag removed. That is basically what Openreach have already told you.

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

This forum has no connection or influence with Openreach, who are a separate company within the BT group.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for quick replies. As you well know it is near impossible to contact Openreach. Residents are being told FTTC contract is expiring, placing FTTP order but being told at a later date can not be done and going quite distressed to manager whose job it is not to sort this. I doubt ISP can change this, as Openreach won't want a wasted trip. We now know the problem - it's how we fix it. I'm hoping another customer may have a route to do this. Failing that I have found some Openreach contact details.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@andrewdeacon51 

If FTTC contracts are expiring, that does not mean that they will lose their broadband connection. They have the option of continuing with FTTC on a rolling monthly basis, until a solution is found, so there is no need for them to get worried.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

The fact you had and several others had FTTP installed without issue shows the process can work, if some fellow occupants are having issues ordering FTTP , it  because their individual lines are showing products that are incompatible, it’s not a blanket issue affecting the entire development, it’s individual to the particular account holder  , so needs that particular account holder to take it up with their individual ISP to remove whatever product is causing issues , no doubt some won’t even be BT customers, so obviously they have no relationship with BT and their issue is between them and whoever they use for service.

Openreach can’t ‘solve’ this , what’s more it’s not an Openreach issue , if ‘converting’ a line to FTTP is rejected because of products on the copper pair ,  order standalone FTTP ( so no reference made to the existing line ) once FTTP is ‘in’ , cancel the existing copper line and all products are associated with it , obviously this won’t work if the phone number associated with the copper pair service is required to be moved onto the FTTP service .

You don’t say what type of retirement flats , presumably something like those sold by McCarthy & Stone where the flats although part of a community,  are self contained, with their own ‘bills’ for water , electricity, council tax etc , and it’s not a a retirement home where a ( large monthly bill ) covers all utilities and food care etc , if that’s the case there is no ‘marker’ that applies that singles out the these dwellings, they are same as any other individual ‘flat’ within a MDU ( multiple dwelling unit ) 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Yes it's McCarthy&Stone. Residents do have some capacity but not if it hits problems. Mine and others were done before Openreach stopped sending the engineer, who would realise there was no careline. At the last residents' meeting confusion reigned talking about BT - they had not grasped it was Openreach supplying service and engineer regardless of ISP. I kept quiet as did not want to confuse further and was unsure of what various ISPs were saying anyway. Manager is pondering writing to residents, but somehow doubt that will explain situation to resident so they can explain to ISP. I think we'll just have to live with this and hope it sorts in a few months.      

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

When a CP places an order in this scenario Openreach require a hazard note added to specifically state that the care line would continue to function after the installation of FTTP/Digital Voice. Otherwise the installation would be cancelled when it reaches the engineer, regardless if they get to site and are told this in person. They won’t risk being held responsible for any health issues as a result of any telecare problems.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

I worked for a telecare provider and last year we were upgrading clients to new digital units which contained a SIM card and operated over a Mobile Network so quite independent from the traditional landline setup.  Those older units which worked across the old public switched telephone network were just removed from customer premises and sent for recycling.  That being the case, I'm not sure why this is being flagged up as a problem in 2024 as the suppliers of the new units have been working in conjunction with the telecare provider for a number of years and came up with a solution for those with FTTP.  Am I missing something here?

RIC 9380

0 Ratings