cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Fibre Broadband Queries

Apologies for the length of this message.

Fibre broadband has recently become available in my area, so I phoned BT to ask questions about the packages on offer via My BT and possibly take out a contract.  However, I am somewhat confused by the whole situation.

Firstly, I asked why I was being given a personalised offer of Fibre 1 but not Fibre 2 (there were other packages offered too).  I was told that with Fibre 2 the copper cable from the street to my home would have to be replaced because it was too old.  I then asked if that would also be the case for the Fibre 1 option.  After checking she said it would, so essentially she did not answer my question as to why I was not offered Fibre 2. Anyway, I found it surprising that the copper cable from the street to my home would have to be replaced because I had thought Fibre Essential, Fibre 1 and Fibre 2 still used the copper cable but apparently not so.

Leading on from the above, I said I hoped that doesn’t mean that my expensive block paving has to be dug up.  Having checked that I don’t have a telephone pole nearby, she said my driveway may have to be dug up but an engineer would do a survey first and that I would have the option to cancel.  I said that, having checked BTs Broadband Availability Checker, it indicated that there was a duct from the street to my house, but she wasn’t certain if that would do.

Eventually I decided to go for Fibre 100 (currently only about £1 more than I am paying) and arranged for an engineer to do a survey.

I then asked what would happen if I cancel because My BT says my current BT Unlimited Broadband package will not be renewed when it finishes.  She told me I could still have it but out-of-contract.  She also suggested that if I didn’t want my garden dug up, I could get a 4G Mini Hub which would give me full fibre speeds.  Surely there must be a downside to a mini hub, otherwise most people would take it instead of having their garden dug up.  Later I tried to research 4G Mini Hubs and it seemed to indicate that you need Halo.  She didn’t mention this. Would I want this? I have no idea.

I was also told that if I take a fibre contract, my line rental contract and 700 Minutes calling plan would be discontinued and that I would either have to get a Pay as you Go contract for £3 plus cost of calls per month or a £12.50 Unlimited Calls contract.

Every time I asked a question, her response started with “I think …” which did not give me confidence about what she was telling me.  The fact that I had difficulty hearing her because of background noise at her end did not help matters.

Having finished the call, I then received three emails from BT about the change of contract and engineer’s visit, etc.  It confirmed he is coming on 21st October, however it mentioned that my contract would start then.  I could not understand why because I had assumed I would not get the fibre broadband until sometime after that date, given I was told that the engineer was only going to do a survey on 21st.  So, I phoned BT again, wasting another 20 minutes before speaking to a human, and explained the situation.  I was told that the installation of the fibre broadband equipment would take place on the 21st, assuming I agree to it.  I’m not sure if this is accurate. 

By the end of the calls my head was spinning.  I have spent most of the day on this and frankly I don't know who or what to believe about all of the above.  I would appreciate any input from your good selves. Can you shed any light on at least some of what I have been told?

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

BT Fibre Broadband Queries

Apologies for the length of this message.

Fibre broadband has only recently become available in my area, so I phoned BT to asked questions about the packages on offer via My BT with a view to signing up for one of them.  Firstly, I asked why there was a personalised offer of Fibre 1 but not Fibre 2 (there were other packages offered too).  I was told that with Fibre 2 my copper cable from the green box would have to be replaced as it was too old.  I then asked if that would also be the case for the Fibre 1 option.  After checking, she said it would, so essentially she did not answer my question as to why I was not offered Fibre 2. Anyway, I was surprised that the copper cable from the street to my home would have to be replaced because I had thought Fibre Essential, Fibre 1 and Fibre 2 still used the copper cable but apparently not so.

Leading on from my first question above, I said I hoped that doesn’t mean that my expensive block paving has to be dug up to install the fibre cable.  Having checked that I don’t have a telephone pole, she said my driveway may have to be dug up but an engineer would do a survey first.  I said that, having checked BTs Broadband Availability Checker, it indicated that there was a duct from the street to my house, but she wasn’t certain if that would do.

Eventually I decided to go for Fibre 100 as it costs only £1 more than my current BT Unlimited Broadband package.  I was told that an engineer would come out to conduct a survey before installation and was reassured that I could cancel, depending on the outcome.

I then asked what would happen to my BT Unlimited Broadband package when it expired if I cancelled the fibre package because it says on My BT that it would not be renewed.  She told me I could still have it but out-of-contract.  She also suggested that if I didn’t want full fibre, I could get a 4G Mini Hub which would give me full fibre speeds.  By this time.  I don't know much about these hubs but surely there must be a downside to a mini hub, otherwise most people would have it instead of digging up their drive/garden.  Later I tried to research 4G Mini Hubs and it said you need Halo (she didn’t mention this).  I don't know what this is.

I was also told that if I take a fibre contract, I have to get Digital Voice, although this was not made obvious on My BT.

Every time I asked a question, her response started with “I think …” which did not give me confidence about what she was telling me.  The fact that I had difficulty hearing her because of background noise at her end did not help matters.

Having finished the call, I then received three emails about the change of contract and engineer’s visit, etc.  It confirmed he is coming on 21st October, however it mentioned that my contract would start then.  I could not understand why because I had assumed I would not get the fibre broadband until sometime after that date, given that I was told that the engineer was only going to do a survey on 21st.  So, I went back on the phone and after another 20 minute wait before the call was answered by a human, asked for clarification.  I was told that the installation of the fibre broadband modem would take place on the 21st, assuming I agree to go ahead with the contract  I’m not sure if this is accurate and quite frankly I don’t know who or what to believe any more.

Is there anyone out there who could shed light on one or more of my queries, please?  I'm happy to expand on any points if I have not made myself clear.

0 Ratings