cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Fibre now only option trapped 90 year old aunt

Is your new provider offering a Digital Voice equivalent?  PSTN (analogue phone) is being shutdown in the next two years so phones will need to be connected to the router and this possibly includes her "alert gadget and burglar alarm" - how would they be connected to her FTTP router - are there wifi options available?

Message 12 of 16

Thats right BrookHeather. The plan is to get it all working then a new master socket from screwfix next to the old one, move the extension wires over and a lead from the new master socket to the router and hopefully all her extensions will light up with voip. Then when we get everything working right with that we call them up and hopefully they move her actual number to their digital voice service and the copper will cease but she will still be able to just pick up the phone and dial. So hopefully we will have time to get all her bits working properly, or deal with their failure  at our leisure. Finger crossed 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Hmm, after several weeks of saying openreach was working on it the isp has now come back and said

"I have reviewed your order and after checking with our suppliers they have advised that a survey has been carried out and that there will be excessive construction charges that will need to be paid before the order can progress.

They have evaluated these and the cost has come from 53 meters of ducting that will be needed which has come to a cost of £1585.76."

Which is rather a shock. Given it was a retail product and fibre was the only available option we assumed the install costs were included. 

Not sure what happens now. Complain I guess. Possibly try again with Bt retail who rumors say are more likely to absorb install costs. (Also cheaper, though by paying extra would protect 90 year old aunt, HA). Or possibly beg openreach to let her continue to ADSL which is giving up but less pain to aunt.

I can understand being forced off copper, even if I don't like it. But being unable to continue with copper but only option is to pay £1500 to get  fibre seems nuts. I am not popular at the moment. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Is there a good mobile signal at her address? If so you could consider getting 4g/5g mobile broadband. Most if not all of the major mobile phone providers can supply it and the prices are not unreasonable for unlimited packages.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

BT and Openreach as I’m sure you are aware are not one and the same company and are not interchangeable terms,  your relative was a John Lewis customer , and at no point have you said or implied that BT are your preferred  ‘new’ provider, so it does seem odd that you are posting on this BT forum .

See message 4 , the possibility of ECC was pointed out there  , it’s unfortunate, but if someone chooses to use FTTP instead of the existing copper pair  ADSL/FTTC service, or inadvertently loses their copper pair service and FTTP becomes the only option for ‘new’ supply , and construction charges are necessary because the install isn’t a standard install, then to expect everything to be provided for ‘free’, smacks a little of entitlement, it would mean overall that every other OR customer has no choice in subsidising that installation, and would obviously be paying more for their own supply than necessary.

When BT was the only game in town this type of social cross subsidy was understandable even desirable , but now we have a competitive market,  you obviously could ask City Fibre , or You Fibre or Virgin etc. but presumably you would simply accept that they would simply say ‘No’, and in a competitive environment why should OR be ‘forced’ to pick up all the difficult premises while the competition ( who will never service these places with a commercial rollout ) simply target cheap and easy locations, even with copper pair service, there was always a point at which excess charges were raised , same as with electricity supply and mains gas .

It should be noted that the £ 1500 is probably not the entire construction cost OR face , a hefty contribution , in the order of £3600 is made towards those costs by Openreach ,  and there are ways to mitigate ECC , like excavation of the trench for the ducting yourself (and reinstating after the duct is installed ) , obviously this isn’t something everyone could arrange, but as this scenario is often associated with farm buildings , or seriously wealthy individuals who chose to live ‘remotely’  , it is feasible in many cases.

Although the PSTN switch off is 2025 , there is no date at which every copper pair service will cease , there are copper pair products that deliver services without PSTN/WLR , however if an area has the appropriate level of FTTP , then OR can stop the sales and migrations of new copper services , that could mean , in some situations ,  a person effectively having to stick with the provider they currently have , and in this case , if John Lewis is vacating this communications business ,  they should be arranging the migration which doesn’t affect connectivity , if that option is unpalatable, that’s really a consequence of joining JL in the first place .

At the risk of being blunt , what’s this got to do with BT ?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

This story illustrates why I try just about never to change anything even if someone says I will save a few pounds. It always causes endless trouble. If in doubt do now't.  I hope things can be sorted out even if the 1500 has to be paid.  Forthcoming digital voice is gong to be nightmare for many.

0 Ratings