cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Final bill

My account closed 2 months ago but BT are billing me for continuing services and I now have the threatening letter telling me to pay up within 4 days or else.  When I spoke to someone about it when I got the last bill, I was told it would all be sorted in a final bill which would be a credit to cancel the last bill.  That final bill has not arrived because BT closed my email account when I left.  I can’t contact BT except by phone and I am abroad so the cost of being on hold for an hour will be greater than the final bill.  Is the billing system broken?  Why don’t we have an email option to contact billing?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Final bill

Is this link of any use, it has a  messaging option.

https://www.bt.com/help/contact-bt/account-and-billing/broadband.

unfortunately although BT is a communications company,it doesn't believe in communicating, hence their reputation going downhill amongst other things.

Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the link, I hadn’t been able to find it.  After an hour on a chat I ended no further ahead.  Apparently it’s a data issue and I will get a final bill within another 7-10 days!  The threat has not been removed but I was reminded that I signed up to BT policies 47 years ago……..

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@TimGriff6 

"I was reminded that I signed up to BT policies 47 years ago"

So you have been a customer since 1977?

That is interesting, because according to Wikipedia, "British Telecommunications" did not come in to existence until 1980!   😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Group

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I certainly have been a customer since 1977.  They were called Post Office Telecommunications then and we had a rotary dial wall mounted phone (modern plastic not Bakelite!).  The BT name came when they split the phone service from the post office but the hardware and bills were continuous through that process.   That was probably the beginning of the end, compounded by selling the company off shortly after.  I'm amazed that I stuck it so long!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@TimGriff6 

"They were called Post Office Telecommunications then and we had a rotary dial wall mounted phone (modern plastic not Bakelite!). The BT name came when they split the phone service from the post office"

I know: I started working for them in 1981! ISTR that they were called "British Telecom - Part of the Post Office" then?

"I'm amazed that I stuck it so long!"

I only lasted 39 years there, before I retired!  

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

It was still the GPO when I started in 1966 😃

I lasted a little longer, stuck it out for 41 years😃

Message 8 of 9

I'm curious which BT policy allows them to continue charging you after the service has been ceased. Just a thought

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I think that's where my problem lies.  Obviously they have to assemble a bill for usage in the last few weeks which is charged in arrears but they are still charging me for line rental after my 24 month fixed rate period ended and I cancelled.  Some dodgy software in the billing system I suspect.

0 Ratings