cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Fraudulent misrepresentation of calling charges

I have recently renewed by Broadband/landline contract, having previously been paying £9.25 a month for 700 minutes to a landline or mobile.  The renewal documents asserted that it would be to my benefit, instead of £9.25 a month, to pay £3.00 a month for "calls cost a set amount per minute".  The set amount wasn't disclosed, nor was I able to find out what it was.  Now, having had my first bill under the "improved" system I find that, instead of my previous arrangement for £9.25 for 700 minutes I'm now paying £11.50 this month for 26 minutes, at a unit cost that would increase my 700 minutes to £203.00.  I have tried to object to this scam and restore the previous arrangement, but the country's premier communications company has no e-mail address, doesn't answer the phone, even if I could afford to wait for an answer at 29 pence a minute, and hasn't responded to the letter I sent them on the 16th July.  The only idea I've had which might elicit a response is to cancel my Direct Debit, but I'd be grateful for any other ideas.  HELP!!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Fraudulent misrepresentation of calling charges

If you had 700mins and ‘only’ used around 24 of those mins ( or less  ) then PAYG is probably slightly cheaper at £3 + 25 calls at 26p/min ), so £6.24 in calls + £3 = £9.24 ,

if you make much more use of those 700 mins you used to have , then PAYG isn’t the plan for you  , but 700 mins seems to be a historic plan that is no longer available and the choice is Unlimited minutes at £18 , or PAYG , so it’s around 69 minutes before PAYG is the uneconomic plan compared to £18 for unlimited.

If you made 26 mins of calls , there is no setup fee, each minute is about  26p , but calls are rounded up so a 5.5 min call is charged as 6 mins , each full minutes at 26p/m so £6.76+£3 PAYG so £9.76 ( approximately ) so slightly more than your 700 min plan ( but that’s not available) ,

I don’t know where your £11.50 comes from unless it some minutes are rounds up ,to the next full minute, plus the fractions  of a penny ( it’s 26.12p/min ) for each call .

If  PAYG  isn’t suitable , you can change call plans yourself on your ‘My BT’ or call .

Calls to BT from BT lines are free , 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Fraudulent misrepresentation of calling charges

Many thanks. In fact I've now got unlimited minutes for £12 a month, so most grateful for the tip.
0 Ratings