cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Friend has no internet due to erroneous charges on his account. Phone staff being overly unhelpful.

Posting on behalf of my friend as he has no internet connection.

My friends internet went down yesterday. As the techie guy I went over today to try and fix it as BT said there were no faults when called.

I was thinking it would be a simple hub reset, or at worst a broken hub. Long story short, it turns out his bill was overdue. However, he was adamant he paid it, even showing me the bank statement of the money going out. 

He called BT again and has now been told that there is £80 outstanding on his account from calls on his landline. He doesn’t even have a home phone to make calls over the landline so this is an obvious mistake. 

He has also been told that it will take TWO WEEKS to be investigated, during which time the internet service will not be restored! 

In addition and in contradiction to the above time frame, he has been told that he “might as well just pay it” because if he doesn’t within 7 days his “account will be closed completely”. 

This sounds completely outrageous. Why did BT not mention this erroneous overdue sum when called 3 times to ask why the internet was down.

Surely internet should be restored while they’re “investigating” their mistake. And surely the support team shouldn’t be making threats of termination towards a confused customer who is just trying to get their service restored. 

Even if he paid the outstanding amount just to get it sorted, what’s to say that this issue won’t happen again next month. 

Phone team are going round in circles on this, is there any other way he can get help with this issue?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Friend has no internet due to erroneous charges on his account. Phone staff being overly unhelpf

Hi @SelfInvoking   Have you investigated the call breakdown to research the number being called? There are many systems that don’t need a phone such as alarm calls and security systems.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Friend has no internet due to erroneous charges on his account. Phone staff being overly unhelpf

Hmm, all seems very strange to me, are you sure you are being told the full story. Why wasn't your friend aware of the charges when they paid the bill minus the £80?

0 Ratings