cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 34

Full Fibre Install Cost

Hi everyone, me again about my Full Fibre install. So basically we ordered FTTP in December and we have an existing copper phone line buried from my garage through a field to the road with no ducting. Openreach came and want to install a new overhead cable which would be free install but they said the overhead cable would have to be attached and come across my neighbours house and they would not want this. Also my father does not want an overhead cable as he thinks the bracket on the side of the house looks bad. I wouldn't really care myself but because he owns the house I'm having to work around him as he is being insistent.

So, we had many surveys done by Openreach to put a new full fibre cable in ducting across the field and to the road about 100m away, and after the latest survey yesterday we've been quoted £4400 of which BT will pay £3500 and we have to pay £900 to have this completed. My father said he doesn't understand how it can be so much for this and I am wondering should it not be free because of two reasons. 1. Our existing copper cable is underground and 2. My neighbours don't want any wires or new poles installed on their property which would be Openreach's preferred method if they installed overhead for free. 

Can anyone offer any advice? I've called BT and they don't seem to be able to advise.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34

Re: Full Fibre Install Cost

I'm amazed that you can get the work done for £900 rather than the full amount.

Openreach have offered you a free solution, you chose to refuse it, your choice.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 34

@licquorice The free solution will not work due to my neighbours as stated therefore your response is not helpful in the slightest.

Also, it is not my choice unfortunately, it is my father's otherwise I wouldn't have this problem! 

£4400 seems a lot to dig a trench in a field and could be done much cheaper privately.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 34

Presumably the field is your property.

Ask Openreach the specs that they require for the trench and duct then get a private contractor to quote for doing the trench and ducting then ask BT to requote without them having to do that work. 

Message 5 of 34

@mrdaveyywrote:

So, we had many surveys done by Openreach to put a new full fibre cable in ducting across the field and to the road about 100m away, and after the latest survey yesterday we've been quoted £4400 of which BT will pay £3500 and we have to pay £900 to have this completed.

Is this through the USO process ? normally BT won't contribute, anyways the charges are know as ' excess construction charges' raised if Openreach have to carry out extra work to provide your service.

You can read more info on the Openreach site Excess Construction Charges (ECCs) 

Message 6 of 34

I just got a cost breakdown

ECC chargeable items

Survey = 268.87

Duct in soft unsurfaced x 95m = 2842.4

JB23 =197.69

Other = 1000

Total = 4308.96

Build days = 40

I have no idea what "other" means and 268.87 seems excessive for a survey that was pretty simple.

Also 40 work days seems very unreasonable for this

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 34

£900 for a bespoke install sounds like a bargain to me.

Why do you think 40 days is excessive?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 34

@rbz5416 really? I'm not that experienced but I'm surprised ducting costs so much and my dad seems unkeen to pay lol.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 34

You have been offered a free option from Openreach you have rejected it. You have been quoted a price for your father's preferred type of install which you feel is too expensive. 

It has been suggested that you get the work done by a private contractor, the price of which may well surprise you if you decide to down that route.

The bottom line is that Openreach have quoted their price for the install. It is entirely up to you if you accept it or not and complaining about the cost on this forum will not get the quote reduced.

Message 10 of 34

Why would your father be responsible for paying for your broadband upgrade? Just pay it yourself.