cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Full Fibre - Live 800m from the Exchange

As per the title.  I live in a newish property (12 years old) located 800m from the exchange building and I can't get FTTP. I can get super fast BB with average download speeds of 16mbps and upload of 1.5mbps nothing faster.  That would suggest I have FTTC which is located underground in the street.  Why cant I get FTTP?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Full Fibre - Live 800m from the Exchange

@Unsponsored 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Use the address checker for your address, on the link below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 22.17.27.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

S2creenshot 2023-11-28 at 22.17.09.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

That is just the notes what about the schedule showing what is available to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Distance from the exchange has no bearing on FTTP availability, and although a 12 year old property could have FTTP , back then the developer had to request and contribute towards Openreach costs if they wanted FTTP providing , if they didn’t request FTTP ,  they were provided with a copper pair service, presumably the developer/builder of your property either didn’t want to make a contribution towards FTTP or decided it FTTP wasn't  necessary .

FTTP , comes from certain ‘headend’ exchanges, not necessarily the exchange you are closest to, so although you may be really close to a local exchange it may not be a ‘headend’ , that could be in an exchange upto 40Km’s away , even if it is a headend exchange, it’s not really an advantage being 800m from it .

At 12 years old , the Openreach infrastructure provided for copper pair service ( footway joint boxes , ducts etc ) should make the eventual provision of FTTP fairly easy , but OR cannot upgrade every area simultaneously, you can check with OR if there is any current plan for your area 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Checking this will show if Openreach have build plans for your area

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

The OpenReach link says most homes on my exchange (Portobello, Edinburgh) are already served and there are no plans for my street. We are surrounded by OR systems - but can't get one!

0 Ratings