cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Full Fibre package charge + Landline charge for Digital Voice phone through router

We have recently had Full Fibre installed and the old copper line removed.  As we no longer have the copper line and our digital phones are now working through our digital Full Fibre router can anyone explain why our upcoming bill shows a charge of £29.40 for a landline on top of our broadband package  charge of £146.92?  We have had 25 days of sorting out problems with BT and I would rather not have to contact them once again if this time there isn't actually a problem.  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Full Fibre package charge + Landline charge for Digital Voice phone through router

It's probably a calling package 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Full Fibre package charge + Landline charge for Digital Voice phone through router

If it's a quarterly bill, the £29.40 will be for a calling plan, most likely you have unlimited minutes, either that or you've recently renewed/regraded and it's a part charge during the change.

Bills are itemised, you'll be able to look closer once produced, until then it's only guess work because forum members won't be able to see the details.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

It used to be the case that ‘telephony’ was required if you wanted broadband, and it’s still the case that ISP have to advertise the costs of broadband including the line rental as you cannot remove the line rental portion, line rental is required with broadband, but is included in the broadband price.

Things have changed,  but in my opinion they have continued the misapprehension that telephony and line rental are the same thing , if you have FTTP and chosen to have telephony, even when the telephony is Digital Voice and your phone is plugged into the router , then there still is ‘line rental’ charge included in the broadband but there is a charge for the phone service , if you have pay and go calls , it effectively is between £2 and £5 a month ( that’s the size of the reduction you would get if you didn’t take  a phone service with your broadband ) but the ‘no telephony’ option , means they don’t even have a phone number associated with the broadband, no dialtone , no incoming or outgoing calls no 999 calls either  , it’s not simply the case of not making calls so I don’t need ‘line rental’.

If you take telephony you have to take a call plan , if it’s not PAYG  (  which in effect is  £2 -£5 ) there are two other calls plans , 700 mins and ‘unlimited’ , (this could show on your bill as ‘line rental’ ) if quarterly billed , the 700 min plan is  £7.50 a month more than PAYG ( so would be around £9.50 - £12.50 a month ) or perhaps they have given a discount on the unlimited plan , which is normally around £16 a month more than PAYG , so £18-£21 a month , but the call plans seem to be negotiable 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for your reply. I have a plan giving me 700 'free' minutes, Call Blocker and Caller Display. My package now appears to be more expensive and no longer includes unlimited evening and weekend calls. I can no doubt change the package if I am not happy with it but either way I suspect it is going to cost a lot more... and I didn't even want to change to Full Fibre.
Thanks again.
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for your reply. No, I have 700 'free' minutes on PAYG, Call Blocker and Caller Display. My package now appears to be more expensive and no longer includes unlimited evening and weekend calls. I can no doubt change the package if I am not happy with it but either way I suspect it is going to cost a lot more... and I didn't even want to change to Full Fibre.
Thanks again.
Message 7 of 10

700 mins and PAYG are different call plans , PAYG has no inclusive calls ,and is free ( apart from the £5 to provide the phone service ( not phone line )  each call made would be *p/min , 700 mins means any call is included until you reach 700 mins in total ( about 11 hours and 40 mins ), there was some debate about how PAYG was free if there was a £5 charge , but the way to consider it , (IMHO ) is that £5 gets  you the phone number and the ability to receive incoming calls , and make emergency and 800 type calls etc, a call plan is needed and the cheapest is free (if you never make any chargeable calls)  as you have taken the 700 mins plan , you are paying (£5 + £7.50 ) £12.50 a month , this is £12.50 more than someone with the same broadband as you that has no phone service at all ( no number , no possibility of making or receiving any call ) that’s around £37.50 a quarter, your figure is a bit less so perhaps a discount or the first bill isn’t the not 3 full months .

I’m guessing that if your broadband is the equivalent of £45+ a month your speed is way in excess of anything you were getting previously on FTTC or ADSL 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Thank you for explaining that so clearly. I didn't actually choose what I wanted, I was told by the BT chap what I should have. Our old package cost £46 pm including line rental with Anytime calls add-on at £11.54 pm and the new package will cost us £49 pm + the cost of a landline with £7.50 pm for 700mins of calls. At the moment the broadband speed with FTTP is very much slower than it was with FTTC and we can no longer connect to the internet from the end of the garden as we did before but I've been told by BT to give it a month or so and it should improve as it settles. Certainly hope so. I suppose it is a case of wait and see.
Thanks again.
Message 9 of 10

@JR65wrote:
Our old package cost £46 pm including line rental with Anytime calls add-on at £11.54 pm and the new package will cost us £49 pm + the cost of a landline with £7.50 pm for 700mins of calls.

No, the cost of broadband includes line rental, on my earlier reply I mentioned regrading could cause this and this is the case, refer back to your order confirmation, it will include the cost of the changes you made.

Alternatively wait for the bill to be produced, it will have an itemised breakdown, it's confusing as you had a change of package part way through your billing cycle, it will correct itself though.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I hope you are right. I suppose what I find confusing is the following estimate of our next bill, which shows a charge for the landline as I've never had this before:
Broadband package£146.97
Regular charges£146.97
Landline£29.40
Regular charges£29.40
Other charges£17.94
Set-up charges£17.94
Bill total
£194.31
Please pay by 13 Sep 2022.
I shall just have to wait and see if it is all itemised.
Thank you.
0 Ratings