Message 11 of 17

Re: Full fiber line install waiting a month

Go to solution

yes they gave me an install date but didn’t come 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

What are they even telling you to wait longer for?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Partial DIG , that means there is no existing duct or it’s ducted but the type of duct is incompatible with installation of a new optical cable , for a while a duct , similar in size to a hosepipe was used , an optical fibre cable cannot be installed in these D100 ‘ducts’ alongside the copper cable , it’s physically too small and often isn’t a continuous length , so a new duct is required, hence the partial DIG ( direct in ground ) survey note.
Chances are the BT to EE complications are relatively unrelated, but a delay is inevitable as new infrastructure needs to be provided by Openreach before FTTP can be provided, the initial date given by a service provider in these cases is not the installation date , but simply a date for Openreach to arrange whatever works are required, once that work is completed a new appointment date is given , this rarely seems to be communicated to the consumer.

FYI , the new service duct will be brought up against an external wall , not where the existing copper service appears .

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

They gave me an install date missed it I’ve rang a lot they just say it’s a provisional date not set in stone then say they can’t give me anymore info as installers Kelly group don’t share any info as to why they didn’t turn up.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

Yes like gigaclear did they came out next day and took them an hour to do the work the latch on the pavement is very close to my garden and easy to fit the new duct like gigaclear did do I don’t know why it’s taking so long ? 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

Contrary to what you might thing, the alt nets being a smaller group find it easier to plan and carry out once they have their main infra work done with the box to the curb. Openreach have much broader targets whilst also using sub contractors all under pressure to get x amount of jobs done within a certain time. I dont know it for a fact but you'll find most people speculating that Openreach will focus on getting 10 successful easy jobs done in a day then one difficult one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

Alt Nets have an advantage, in that any infrastructure they build is exclusively theirs, so they can build network right upto your boundary safe in the knowledge that if you don’t sign up , a competitor can’t come along and use their infrastructure, Openreach have to allow competitors access to their infrastructure, so if they build  up to your boundary in the same way , a competitor can say ‘ thanks  very much ‘ and use that brand new infrastructure , even before Openreach can use it themselves, so a recent policy change is now Openreach don’t put a toby box outside every address ( in underground service areas ) what the OP calls a ‘latch ’ or ‘pot’  but build from further away ( an actual jointbox ) and only once an order is received…this takes longer that the other method but means the competition don’t get an even bigger leg up .

OR did use the same method as Gigaclear for a few years ,  and the timescales were similar, but things  have changed , Gigaclear don’t have to worry about Openreach using their ‘ toby box’ , Openreach have no choice but to allow Alt Nets , building in the same fashion as Gigaclear has risks to Openreach that  Alt Nets don’t have , hence the policy change,  even if it makes the waiting time from order to competition longer .

0 Ratings