cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

G.Fast, landline service and FTTP

I have BT G.Fast and it works well.

Where I live (LCSTA exchange) FTTP seems to be widely available except for a few poles around our house. It is not installed on our pole. I assume this is because G.Fast is available to us, so our pole is not a priority for upgrade to full-fibre??

But G.Fast is apparently NOT currently available when searching our address under ‘Not yet with BT’ on bt.com. Only standard broadband and two speeds of FTTC are available. It is possible that the G.Fast equipment in the cabinet is at capacity, but it is definitely the case that G.Fast isn’t an option on offer now.

Obviously I am keen to get FTTP when, and if, it is available here, not least because I could then cease paying for the PAYG telephone service. I don’t own a landline telephone so am paying for a facility that I never use, and haven’t used for several years. For some reason it is apparently not possible to have G.Fast without paying for PAYG telephone. I will push against this at my next renewal if FTTP is still not available by then. Anyone any experience of negotiating on this?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: G.Fast, landline service and FTTP

You should be able to get a broadband only package when you next renew. That would save you about £5 a month. Its possible that G.Fast is no longer being sold to new customers, where FTTP is being rolled out.

You could of course choose FTTC instead, broadband only.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Your last point - that would be the last resort if I can’t renew on G.Fast without paying £60/year for a totally unused landline service. I hope FTTP will arrive before then, though.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@Forumcloud 

if you enter your phone number and post results this should show what is available to you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Of course. I check it every morning and have done for years. FTTP is not available. G.Fast is, according to the checker, but it no longer appears as available on the BT retail sute.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@Forumcloud 

You are not paying for the physical connection (landline) as a separate charge, its part of the broadband package and has to be paid for, even if you get FTTP. The phone service costs about £5 extra and can be excluded when you renew, so there is not as much saving as you think.

Some copper based broadband products are being discontinued.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Update: interesting situation now. Under ‘Upgrade Broadband’ I see the following: 

Great news …

You can now get Full Fibre, the UK's most reliable broadband technology. Select your Full Fibre plan below and book an engineer to install your new broadband service at a time and date that suits you.

However it isn’t such great news because:
- the ‘Broadband Only’ option is greyed out (I don’t want a TV package)
- my line is still shown as ‘FTTP is not available’ on the Openreach cabinet checker
- there is still no CBT on the pole which serves our house, although there is on several other poles nearby,

I am happy with the  146/26 G.Fast service I have at present so there is no urgency. Just posting the update for information; perhaps it is an error. Perhaps it means that FTTP is imminent. I have contacted OR anyway and await their response.
0 Ratings