cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Getting out of contract early due to poor service

I’ll try to keep this short!  Have been with BT on and off for 8 years. Last contract from May 2023. Have everything with them. Tv, broadband, telephone, mobile. Service awful. Called them to complain several times engineer comes out. Different answer to problem every time. Found a cheaper deal with another supplier £50 a month cheaper for everything plus extras! Tried to leave. They wanted £932 to get out of contract. Told them of previous complaints and poor service. Apparently only way out is to get an engineer out 3 times in a 30 day period and THEY then decide if the service is still unsatisfactory. If THEY decide it is the we can get out without penalty. Has anyone ever got out of contract without penalty using this system or is there another way out! They have threatened us with debt collectors if we get out without paying the penalty! Any advice appreciated!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Getting out of contract early due to poor service

There is no other way.

As this is the first time you have posted here, perhaps it may be an idea to explain the issue you are having with your service, as forum members may be able to assist.

If its affecting all services, then its most likely a broadband speed problem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

You'll certainly have to forgive my ignorance but if the service has been that appalling with them on all services you subscribe to then how do you find yourself on, I assume, another 24 month contract?

Contracts are there to protect both parties which is why they get signed.

As @Keith_Beddoe says without knowing the faults its not easy to try to help but broadly speaking you may find that no matter the provider you go with you'll still be using the same, fibre, copper etc, most providers offer no improvements other than financial for being a new customer. That is an assumption on my part that you are probably on Openreach infrastructure and usually the only way to change everything entirely is if you have an altnet in your area like Gigaclear, Truespeed and so on who run their own infra.

You can raise a formal complaint, it worked very well for me with the genuine issues I had.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

As above, if your contract started in May 2023 then it expired last month.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Thanks to those that replied. We are 14 months into the current 24 month contract. Most problems have occurred in that period of time. Router cuts out intermittently and every person we speak to or engineer we see gives us a different reason and solution. Frankly we have grown weary of constantly trying to get through to BT in order to raise issue and seek solutions!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@Gary14 

I think it would be best if one of the moderators took a look at the fault history, meanwhile, what sort of broadband connection do you have? Is it fed down a copper pair of wires, or is it optical fibre?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Not sure what you mean by:

"As above, if your contract started in May 2023 then it expired last month."

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@allanraymondwrote:

Not sure what you mean by:

"As above, if your contract started in May 2023 then it expired last month."

Well spotted, I've reset the beads on the abacus! 🙄

Apologies @Gary14 for my inability to count!

0 Ratings