cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Help changing email address on BT Account

Go to solution

Hi, looking for some help - the email that is my BT ID Username Login is being terminated by the service provider so I am swapping to a gmail address that I have always had but previously hardly used. 

The gmail address is the the on on my BT account that is my secondary / backup email address.

Going forward I will only have one email address (the gmail one) but the website portal will not allow me to set my new BT ID Login email to be the same as my backup email address. 

The only way around this that I can think of is to completely delete my backup email address the change my main BT ID username address.  Though?

p.s. It's pretty stupid of BT to use an email address also as a login ID but the who security part of the website is pretty clunky! 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help changing email address on BT Account

Go to solution

Why not simply create another email address, either Gmail or Outlook (previously Hotmail).

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Not sure I understand your answer, why create another email address?  I already have a gmail address that I want to use. I just want to replace my existing email address with my gmail one. 

p.s. Is my post in the wrong section? This seems to be for people using BT's email service whereas my question is regarding the overall BT account profile. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Because it doesn't appear to be possible to use your backup email address as the primary address to replace an email address you are losing, the sensible thing to do from where I'm sitting is to create a new email address to replace the one you are losing.

Why does it matter how many email addresses you have?

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Understood. So I created a new @btinternet email address and set that as my backup address which meant that the gmail one that I will be using going forwards could become my ID email address. That worked thanks.