cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Hopw Do You Amend Details When You Do Not Have a Mobile Phone???

Go to solution

I want to amend my contact email address which is used for recovery purposes. However, very, very annoyingly, BT refuses to accept that some people do not wish to own or use a mobile phone.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to update my email address in this section without having to run to a shop and spend a small fortune on a mobile phone and contract simply to do something as basic as maintain my personal details.

Not very good BT!!!!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Hopw Do You Amend Details When You Do Not Have a Mobile Phone???

Go to solution

Can you not use the device you are posting with to access MYBT which is available at the top of this page

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

@somhairlewrote:

I want to amend my contact email address which is used for recovery purposes. However, very, very annoyingly, BT refuses to accept that some people do not wish to own or use a mobile phone.

The mobile request is so BT can validate you to the highest level by sending a pin code, there are however other means which I won't share on the forum, ring back and ask for alternative security questions for validation, there are at least 2 ways I can think of that don't involve you buying a mobile.

Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

No. This is what I am trying and it insists on a mobile number IMJolly. This is what you get:

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 22.10.56.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

-Richie-

I am well aware of the reason that is normally given for doing this but I am afraid I am nnot impressed by it.

I use a desktop. I use a browser constantly set in privte mode. I do ot have or ever want to own a mobile. Nor do I feel it appropriate that I should use 2 factor authentication or additional software. I can handle my own security and the development to use these additional measures is simply to accomodate smart phone technology in which networking security is compromised by encouraging - or in fact insisting - that users remain constantly 'logged-in'.

As for any other means of doing this, as you suggest, I do not feel that I should need to search for hours to find an alternative - or be inconvenienced - to update my account.

On the issue of security questions. These are not connected to the section in which you amend your contact details.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

What happens if you input a landline number instead? Some do allow this, and then I think the text message containing the PIN code is read out by a voice when you answer it.

Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Or another alternative is a free online temporary mobile number website. Just make sure to pick a UK one.

I can't post links but I found one easily by google searching "receive SMS online".

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Although you are well aware of why BT ask for a mobile number to verify the account holder @somehairle the part about you not being inconvenienced is clearly not a black and white issue. There's different levels of inconvenience and making any changes to this sort of information, by its very nature, means some inconvenience will be experienced. As already mentioned there are other ways of satisfying the security requirements to make sure its the legitimate account holder wanting to make these changes.

Although there aren't EE/BT stores in every part of the UK, you don't have to run to them and there are still lots of them around. I would have thought a visit to the one that is easiest for you to get to, perhaps done at the same time as big shopping trip to minimise any inconvenience, should be able to get this resolved. If you take plenty of photo IDs eg a passport and/or drivers licence etc along with recent proof of your address eg a few utility bill letters or bank letters etc so the in-store staff can verify you along with a tablet or portable laptop that can be used to access any associated verifying emails, this should be possible, especially if the store management realise the 'usual' methods aren't available to you because you don't have (& nor do you want to have) a mobile/cellular phone.

If that doesn't work then if it was me, I'd send a letter to BT explaining what happened when you tried to get the email address changed in-store and ask them how they'd like you to proceed. There are plenty of people without mobile phones and owning one (or even having access to one) won't be needed to get this resolved.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
c64z86

TBH, I don't know as I have not tried. Normally this does not work, but I will give it a go and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

If that's 'less inconvenient' to you than visiting (not running to) a store, good luck and let us know how you get on. Bottom line, this will be possible without a mobile phone.

0 Ratings