cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

House move - BT contradicting themselves

I'm moving in with my partner in early December and got in touch with BT today as I wanted clarification on what would happen as we're both in broadband contracts.

We've decided we're likely to have my account - hers is FTTC and 30Mb and mine's FTTP 900Mb so my connection is much faster. We've got about the same amount of time left (both are within a day of each other in March) so her cancellation fee is likely to be a lot less.

The online agent first insisted that I'd have to pay close to £200 cancellation fee and it wasn't possible to move my account. Then, when I posted information from the specific page BT have that covers moves, he then changed to say that I'd be subject to a minimum term of 12 months. There's information on the same page that says the remaining term, or 3 months if less than that remaining is all I'd be subject to. Despite me posting the link to that page, he insisted he was right. I tried to raise a complaint but he just wasn't having it.

What's the correct information? If I was to move my broadband in early December, am I subject to a 12 month contract or the remaining term (about 4 months)?

I'd also read on here that if there's already a BT or EE account at the new address that they would accept this without penalty. However there's no consistency about this. I ask because EE got in touch with her last week about the switching offer they have, where they'll pay her cancellation fee to switch her account. If that's true that might be our better option. Does anyone have information about whether that's possible or will the cancellation fee still apply?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: House move - BT contradicting themselves

Have you checked that you can get FTTP 900 at your partner's home ?

Enter your partner's phone number or address and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: House move - BT contradicting themselves

What service you each have currently is irrelevant.It depends what is available at the new address.

Put simply, you can transfer one account using the home move facility with the other account incurring early termination charges.

Simply transfer the account which would incur the most early termination charges.

0 Ratings