cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

I am paying £over £80 a month for broadband services and feel scammed

Firstly I have to acknowledge I should have done some competitive research. However I signed up for a BT Broadband contract  and chose a Fibre 250 with Halo 3+ and extras such links with EE and was charged over £80 per month for this. Due to my lack of technical knowledge (I am in my 70's and clearly not a techie!!) I thought this was the going rate. When all my counterparts told me they were with Sky and other suppliers on their super fast packages and were paying half this, I phoned BT. They told me the only way they would let me have a reduced package that was more appropriate to my actual needs was if I paid them £810 cancellation fee. There was no other option even though I had chosen service extras I did not need such as engineer visits, EE discounts, boosters etc. 

I feel between a rock and a hard place and am not a happy BT customer who through his admittedly own stupidity is being taken to the cleaners by BT who are laughing all the way to the bank and do not care a jot they have a disgruntled customer.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Paying too much!

Thanks for your very measured input. My issue, admittedly self inflicted, is that I am massively overpaying for a level of broadband I did not need, due to my technical ignorance. I am an OAP that has never been caught this way before on any commercial deal but knew nothng about comparative offerings and was just wanting a system for e mails and doing google research. I rather stupidly thought BT offered a highly competitive product and subscribed to the best they offered ....yep pretty stupid. However now BT's response to me is ....."yes you are over spec, yes you are paying for what you don't need but unless you pay us £810 we will carry on charging you for the services you don't need for another 18 months." They didn't quite say 'sucker' but that was the inference.

Perhaps I am old school but in my previous business I genuinely valued my customers and in such a situation would clearly charge them for what they had used but would then try and come to their aid and fit them with a service that was appropriate to them.

OK naive and stupid again to think that modern business reflects such values  but I have learnt that BT do not care a jot about keeping their customers happy as long as they are getting their money. I now have no time for BT and can't wait for my contract to end

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

My issue, admittedly self inflicted, is that I am massively overpaying for a level of broadband I did not need, due to my technical ignorance. I am an OAP that has never been caught this way before on any commercial deal but knew nothng about comparative offerings and was just wanting a system for e mails and doing google research. I rather stupidly thought BT offered a highly competitive product and subscribed to the best they offered ....yep pretty stupid. However now BT's response to me is ....."yes you are over spec, yes you are paying for what you don't need but unless you pay us £810 we will carry on charging you for the services you don't need for another 18 months." They didn't quite say 'sucker' but that was the inference.

Perhaps I am old school but in my previous business I genuinely valued my customers and in such a situation would clearly charge them for what they had used but would then try and come to their aid and fit them with a service that was appropriate to them.

OK naive and stupid again to think that modern business reflects such values  but I have learnt that BT do not care a jot about keeping their customers happy as long as they are getting their money. I now have no time for BT and can't wait for my contract to end

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

BT didn't sell you anything you chose the package you wanted and agreed a contract.

you can try pleading your case with Retentions and see if they will help you in some way to reduce the cost you agreed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings