cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Issue with Moving House

Hi there , I have been issued a Section 21 to exit my property and after weeks of searching I’ve found a property in a perfect location. The rental market is saturated right now and you’ve just got to grab what you can get . It’s no fun at all .

I renewed my BT contract 3 months ago . I had no idea my landlord would be asking me to leave . 

Now I have a 41mb BT Broadband Guarantee but the new property has only a 21mb guarantee , it’s a substantial drop as I work from home all the time with video calls / conference calls / software downloads .

I also have streaming only , with Audio and Video and a teenager who likes to game !

BT have told me that they cannot provide a solution to increase my broadband speed and if I want to end the contract early it’s an £800 fee.

I have been with BT over 9 years . I would be staying with them if the broadband was faster . Moving at short notice has hit my finances hard , let alone finding £800 to exit BT.

Does anyone have any ideas or departments to speak to with regards to this ? I don’t mind paying the same fee if it’s like for like but this is a 50% drop and the only solution BT can offer is to pay for an EE 5G router .

I have Halo 3 with 4G backup . 

Many Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Issue with Moving House

Been asked many times on this and various other forums, although you never asked to move , it’s not your providers fault that you are….they can continue to provide service , it may not be as fast as you would like , but it is available, if you decide to use someone else ( mobile or a different network provider) or not take service from anyone, then early termination charges are due…., this isn’t something unique to BT it’s pretty much all ISPs do this , the only exception of note is with VM , they recently decided if there is no VM network at the new location and you provide evidence that you now live in that non service area ( utility bills in your name at that address etc ) , they apparently waive the ETC ,but not much evidence one way or the other if it’s successful in avoiding ETC 

Alt Nets probably don’t have a policy yet but probably hold customers to term , or ETC apply.

The chances are that if the minimum guarantee is 21Mb the actual speed would be better than that , but ultimately it’s your choice , take the available service ( accepting the reduced speed compared to your current address ) or pay the ETC and use whatever alternative is faster than the OR network. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Issue with Moving House

Out of interest, what will you be doing that you will require more than 21Mbps? That speed will let you game, stream HD video etc. 

0 Ratings