cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Landline Supply

We have just moved house to a rural location and the previous occupiers took the landline number with them. I cannot get a signal here on my mobile phone and so want a reliable landline which I prefer to mobile. Also as we have 3 floors I want to be able to have a handset on every floor. 
I’ve been in touch with BT to ask about the Home Saver package at £21.99 pm but we’ve hit a sticking point - we have broadband supplied by BT here (surprisingly full fibre) for our business that we ran from our previous home, which we wanted to change to domestic here, but BT have locked us in for another 2 years or we would have had to pay something like £800 to leave the contract early. 
Jeez, we just want a simple landline with a new number, but now we have to contact BT business who will no doubt have a reason why we can’t do this, or at least charge us business rates which we don’t want either. Help please, getting very frustrated being cut off from the outside world here!! 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Landline Supply

Any modern smartphone should support WiFi Calling through the Internet. So as long as your broadband is up, you can make & receive calls & texts.

Even if you were to obtain a residential landline from BT, that would now be Digital Voice & also reliant broadband. So you may as well just make use of what you already have.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@Jaybee66 

BT Business support IP phones, so that may be a solution to having phones on each floor.

Have you tried asking for advice on the BT Business Forum, as this is the residential one?

http://business.forums.bt.com

You may as well stay with your BT Business contract for now.

As @rbz5416  has already pointed out, there are no more analogue phone lines available, as the PSTN network is closing down.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for your response….I have been able to call some friends and family via WhatsApp, but as I have no signal on my mobile (O2 have been useless), I can’t phone businesses as they don’t use WhatsApp. I even had to borrow my husbands mobile to call BT about this query 😂
I know I’m a dinosaur, but I long for the days when you picked up a handset, heard a dialling tone, dialled the number and phoned a friend 🤪.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go into your mobile phone settings and enable WiFi calling. It'll route the calls through your WiFi but the calls will come from your mobile allowance.