cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 30

Landline price rise and line rental saver.

Go to solution

Hi.

I have paid my line rental saver which is due for renewal in July (I think)

The notice of my rise obviously includes a rise in the the line rental as it is 3 quid odd on a bb package price of £15.66

A rise of 20% on that price.

Doesn't Line rental saver protect you from line price rises until renewal?

Grateful for any input.Thanks.

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: Landline price rise and line rental saver.

Go to solution

No it doesn't.

Why don't you just call BT and ask them for a deal like BT Broadband for £28.99 and any calling plan of your choice.

Your paying line rental+Beoadband +Calling plan, is that right?

Most people these days who have BT Broadband and use their landline it's all combined rather than paying line rental separately and may save you money this way.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 30

Go to solution

@somniacwrote:

Hi.

I have paid my line rental saver which is due for renewal in July (I think)

The notice of my rise obviously includes a rise in the the line rental as it is 3 quid odd on a bb package price of £15.66

A rise of 20% on that price.

Doesn't Line rental saver protect you from line price rises until renewal?

Grateful for any input.Thanks.

As far as I'm aware you pay a fixed fee for line rental over a year which reduces the bill by 19.99 per month for line rental, as long as that's still coming off you're in effect still going to be getting what you paid for, the bb price is changing but you've not paid more for your line rental in effect so why should it change?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

My point is that BT have quoted a 9% rise and this amounts to a 20% rise if it is on BB alone. So half the rise must be the landline rental.

Message 5 of 30

Go to solution
I have had confirmation from BT that the landline has increased as well so paying Land rental saver does not protect you from rises.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

The price change is against your base package price, it doesn't factor in additional savings made by line rental saver.

Let's just say your base package price is £35, you then pay LRS which is reflected with a credit each month of £19.99 for 12 months, meaning you're paying £15.01 to BT each month, the price change is applied to the £35 monthly charge and not the £15.01 you've been paying.

Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

I can understand BT's response on this issue but the point here for me is that because you are paying your line rental in advance, BT is essentially increasing the broadband element of your package to recover the line rental price increase. This is relevant because when I renewed my current contract and the rental had already been paid ,  it was the existing broadband charge that was the starting point for negotiations , necessary as I was experiencing poor broadband performance. This means any future negotiations /issues will be based on an inflated broadband charge. 

Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

I too was surprised to discover an apparent 25% rise on my “broadband” bill.  I had expected a 9.3% rise.  Trying to get BT to explain was a disaster of uninformed agents, dropped calls, suggestions I downgrade my broadband and repeated refusals for a manager callback- time totally wasted.  In the end I discovered - as others here - that BT applied the price rise to my already paid Advance Line Rental.  I have several problems with this.  First, the BT ALR pages refer to “pay in advance” with no mention that an already paid service can be surcharged at a later date.  Secondly, the BT consumer price guide which includes this 9.3% rise mentions ALR three times without any mention of it being subject to the rise.  Finally, several independent websites state that by paying in advance you avoid mid-term price rises.  Obviously those independent “advice” websites are not BT sources but they do suggest that any reasonable person - in the absence of BT evidence to the contrary - would think an ALR bill is settled once paid until renewal.  Finally BT’s terms and conditions do mention price rises can apply to multiple services (broadband and line rental being separate for BT purposes) but only when you’ve read 6,700 words of T&Cs.  I think we can safely say that if it’s not on the BT ALR pages, BT staff can’t explain, it’s not in the latest consumer price guide and only 6,700 words into the T&Cs BT has hidden it so well that this ALR surcharge is well hidden and contrary to normal commercial practice.  If I book a holiday the company clearly tells me there might be an increase in price / surcharge before departure.  That is honest and reasonable.  BT apparently sees no reason to be so transparent with its customers.

Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks Rotarua. I found myself with the exact same quandry and had spent some time trying to rationalise what was in front of me. I shouldn't have bothered and I wish I'd read your explanation before ringing BT, it would have saved me a lot of grief.

Although I understand the somewhat warped logic of the BT view, I just can't get my head around the fact that they are applying a price increase to a service that's already been bought and paid for in advance. Extraordinary!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

I can't believe that people think they should in effect be getting a further discount for something they've paid in advance without paying more towards it! That may sound a bit extreme but that's effectively what you're saying here.

Fact is you've paid to get a 19.99 discount on your package for a line rental saver paid in advance, the price increase is applied BEFORE that discount is taken off ergo it's not a price increase on something already paid for as far as I can see