cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Line install issues

Hi All,

I'm after some advice. We left BT around 2 months ago but due to multiple issues with another ISP we have now come back to BT.  When we originally re-joined, we were told it would take 2+ weeks for the line to go live to our address, so we were sent one of the EE 4G hubs in the meantime. 

Fast forward a month and we are still without a line, BT have said they are waiting on OpenReach to provide an update whereas OpenReach say the exact opposite.

Signal in our area is poor so our current speeds are shocking as a result ( 300kbs down ) - I understand that BT can't do anything about that but I feel like we are stuck in limbo, can anyone help us out or let us know who to speak to to get this sorted?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Line install issues

@EAnder 

Its possible there is no capacity.

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If it shows "waiting list" against the VDSL info, then there are no free ports available.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Yep, there’s a waiting list 😕 

There were some Openreach Sub-contractors outside today doing “maintenance work” hopefully it means we will be up and running.

We have also had a text in the meantime saying the next update from OpenReach will be on the 27th. I won’t hold my breath though 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

You could be in luck if the cabinet is sub- equipped and only requires the plugging in of an extra circuit board. However, that is probably unlikely and in which case the only way a port will become available is if someone ceases their service.

If all slots are equipped, there is no route to expand capacity.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

fingers crossed then…

I don’t get how we have gone straight from another ISP to BT but we couldn’t keep the same line?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

It doesn't work like that. When a service is ceased because the customer moves to another provider, the port becomes spare and it's the first of the many waiting for a port that can grab it gets it. Its just a free-for-all.

That's why it is always wise to check for a waiting list before moving supplier.

Waiting list is a misnomer btw, there is no list.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I don’t get how we have gone straight from another ISP to BT but we couldn’t keep the same line?

When you move ISP, your line is ceased and given to another customer who is also waiting for service. Remember Openreach serves lots of ISPs.

Lots of people have discovered this too late. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

It is what it is I suppose, can’t see the waiting list being huge. Where I live is pretty much OAPs! 

At least BT were good enough to give us the EE hub in the meantime, slow internet is always better than no internet!

Thanks everyone