cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Moving house and no broadband

I'm moving house and the BT broadband in the area that I'm moving to is not suitable for my needs. 

I currently have 900mb but the house I'm moving to only has access to 73mb, this is no where near enough. 

Will I be tied to my contract?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moving house and no broadband

@jayb8 

Your contract will continue, and you will pay whatever the cost is for your new service. If you cancel it, then you will pay full cancellation charges.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

How does that work?

I'm paying for 900mb, if they cannot provide what I'm paying for then I'm well within my rights as a consumer to withhold payment. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers. You would have to take that up with BT.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

See https://www.bt.com/exp/moving-home

Message 5 of 8

The choice to move to a property without FTTP provision is entirely yours. You can of course cancel your contract & pay the appropriate early termination fee but if BT can provide any service, then you can continue with that.

Withholding payment will find you with a County Court Judgement against in short order.

Message 6 of 8

I'm not solely going to buy a property based on what BT can provide me. 73mb is ridiculously low in this day and age, I get more from my 4g phone, so regardless I won't be staying with them when there's other providers that can cover my needs.
I am in my final 2 months of my contract so I will call them when I've sort legal advice.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

So all this angst is over what, £100? Probably a lot less once the cost of supplying the service has been deducted.

Just cancel & pay the fee.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@jayb8 

"I'm paying for 900mb, if they cannot provide what I'm paying for then I'm well within my rights as a consumer to withhold payment. "

I think what @Keith_Beddoe was saying in Message #2 was that after your house move you will still be in contract, but would only pay the cost of the 73Mb service - which I'm guessing would be less than you are currently paying for 900Mb?

Out of interest, what is it that you use the internet for that makes 900Mb essential and 73Mb "no where near enough"?

(I'm not criticising, I'm genuinely interested in why people feel they "need" those sorts of speed).

0 Ratings