cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Moving landline and cancelling copper broadband

I am having fibre fitted on Monday on a seperate BT account to my BT copper account. I am doing this for two reasons 1 to keep landine number 2 make sure fibre works ok before cancelling copper. In about a months time if all ok I want to cancel BT copper and move my landline number to Sipgate. My question is what's the best way to do this. Give a months notice or just transfer number over.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving landline and cancelling copper broadband

@merrymouse 

Are you 100% sure that when Openreach fit your fibre connection, that they are not going to disconnect your copper wiring?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

100% sure as I can be with BT. Order form asked me if I wanted to cancel my other account. I did put no plus asked for no phone with fibre install.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

But if Openreach have to remove the copper to fit the optical fibre, then they will do that, as they would not be aware of the other account.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Obviously mention to the FTTP installer that the copper dropwire ( assuming it’s overhead delivery ) isn’t removed as part of the FTTP installation, as far as letting the number port cease you existing broadband or cancel it yourself,

I would think  the most effective way to do what you want , would be to port the number ( once the FTTP is in and working ) the request to BT for the number from the VoIP provider should cause the cessation of the broadband and telephone service, and the 30 day after the number port is completed ( that is your notice period ) , you may well have access to the copper pair broadband for that notice period, it may be of limited use but it should be available as a back up if any teething problems with the FTTP .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thank you for replies. I’m a bit nervous that this is good to go pear shape somewhere down the line. I will tell engineer that the copper line is still live and to leave it in. I won’t to make sure I don’t lose my number plus to make sure everything is working ok. If they take copper out I will have nothing to fall back onto if I decide after 14 days I don’t want to stay with BT if not working correctly. 

0 Ratings