cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Moving out - Pass contract onto person who is staying

Hello,

I am moving out soon, and wish to pass on the contract to my flatmate. 

I am unsure if there is a simple way to do this, like changing the name on the contract/the details. Or if I must cancel the contract and have them set up a new one.

My primary worry is them being out of internet access for a while since they need it for college.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

- Josh

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Moving out - Pass contract onto person who is staying

you cannot change name of account holder and you would need to terminate your contract and friend does working line takeover and starts new contract in their name.

if you are still in a fixed term contract then you would be subject to cancellation charges

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Moving out - Pass contract onto person who is staying

@JBall01 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Unfortunately that is not possible as the account holder cannot be changed.

What your flat mate will need to do is to raise their own order to takeover the line. That is called a Working Line Takeover.

You will get a message from BT to say that someone wants to takeover your line. Just let that happen, and they will takeover the line on the specified date.

Its very important that you do not ask BT to cease your service, as that will result in a long delay before the line can be taken over.

Be aware that if you are still in a contract, you will have to pay cancellation charges.