cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: Not renewing Contract - how to inform BT

Go to solution

@LadyLouisa  You have a minimum term, there is no maximum term, meaning BT continue to provide the service until you no longer require them, the terms and conditions make this clear.

If you want to move to another provider and they use the Openreach network, your new provider will inform BT of this and switching is gaining provider led, which means any switch and retaining your number is the responsibility of the new provider, if they can't do a working line takeover/transfer, your new provider will tell you and you would have to give BT 30 days notice to terminate the agreement, if you switch you would only be charged for the services when BT provided the service.

If you are switching and the provider has said they will takeover, do not ask BT to cease the account, a working line takeover/transfer will fail if the line has a pending stop on it.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution
Why all the concerns over my phone number?
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

If you cancel with BT first, then you will lose your phone number, as it cannot be ported to a new provider once it is cancelled.

Leave it to your new provider to contact BT. You can ask your new provider to port your BT number over, but its not always possible.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

You simply place an order with another supplier as already suggested. The advisor was probably confused by the terminology you've used in "cancelling" a contract. You are not cancelling, you are simply not renewing.

Switches of a like for like service normally default to 14 days from sate of order. So I'd suggest that you place an order with a new ISP 13 days before your contract ends to be sure it's expired.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution
What! Still throwing a spanner in the works UNBELIEVABLE
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

@LadyLouisa wrote:

You went to a lot of trouble to get it back last time, so it was assumed that you wanted to keep it. If not, then it does not matter, and you will get a new phone number.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution
Signing off and out
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

@LadyLouisawrote:

Related to This Post maybe when you joined BT ? It's clear the number is important to you, moving to another provider is usually seamless but it does happen that things can be bumpy, as you previously found out.

Any provider will do their best to retain a number, they should also make it clear there's no guarantee of success.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

@LadyLouisa  rom Ofcom:

One-stop switch

If your current broadband service runs on the Openreach phone network, and you’re switching to another provider that also uses this network, you can follow a ‘one-stop’ switching process. (Companies that use the Openreach network include BT, EE, Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone.)

Under this process, you don’t need to contact your current provider at all. Instead, your new provider can arrange the transfer for you.

Once you’ve contacted your new provider to begin the switching process, both your new provider and old provider must both send you a letter to inform you of the switch.

The letter from your old provider must include details of:

• the services which will be switched;
  • any services which are not affected; and
  • any charges that apply if you are leaving your contract early.

The letters must also give details of the switch, including an estimate of when it will happen.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

Ok - it just gets worse  I have received confirmation that all ends 28 March - However I am not recognised on my BT app or e mail as of a while ago. Log in details incorrect!!  So cannot use e mail or app now

Coincidence or malicious 

0 Ratings