cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

ONT ports in use

Hi all,

I rang BT a couple of weeks back to try and move my broadband and TV over. The customer service advisor said that (oddly) I only had one ONT port and my Sky service would have to run out before I could start up with BT.

Today, my Sky service ran out. I was expecting BT to call me as I replied to an email on the day of transfer as instructed, but they didn’t. So, I rang up to explain and get going.

The problem with the ONT port persists. Apparently ‘all of my ONT ports are showing as in use and I’ll have to speak to the Sales Support team’. 2 hours on hold later and I’ve not managed to speak to anyone.

I’ve got visions of spending all day on the phone tomorrow to no avail, as a string of people are confused and pass me around. Has anyone had this sort of issue before and if so, how was it resolved? I’d love some ideas with which to keep the conversation moving, rather than just get nowhere.

To confirm, my Sky service has been terminated. I actually have a BT Openreach box in the wall from a previous owner, so you’d think it possible to get BT broadband…

Sadly I’m not technically gifted, so the above is all I know.

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: ONT ports in use

The standard ONT  ( it’s Openreach , not BT Openreach ) is a single port one , so only one service can be provided over the ONT at a time , but if the Sky service previously in the address is ceased , then it’s irrelevant the the ONT has one port , you only need one port….I wonder if the problem is that the previous  Sky service is not showing as canceled with so it ‘looks’ like the ONT already has a working service over its port …that isn’t really a problem either , BT just takeover the service but it takes a bit longer as Sky have to send a letter out to your address asking if it’s OK , but if you follow the correct migration process that’s automatically generated ,  that letter asks you to call Sky if it’s not your intention to switch , but you obviously don’t call them because you do want to switch, and that’s all BT need to takeover the ONT , putting BT service over it , it adds a little bit of a delay though .

I would call again and hope to get a better customer service ‘guide’ , what you want isn’t unusual or complicated, 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: ONT ports in use

Thanks for the reply. Apologies if I wasn’t clear - I am the person moving from Sky to BT, the previous owner was on BT (I guess, because of the box in the wall). I was actually online at 00:05 when the connection died and it hasn’t come back since, so the port most certainly isn’t in use!

Glad to hear this shouldn’t be impossible, even if it might not be quick. I’ll take up the struggle at 8 am…

0 Ratings