cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Openreach is a joke. 5 months waiting for wifi with little communication and frustrations.

I don't know what else to do or who to speak to. Openreach is impossible to speak to since they don't have customer service anymore. They don't provide good information to the poor staff at BT customer service who then don't know how to answer and have to take the burn of customer anger. I am guilty of getting over-annoyed which I apologised for. 5 months of waiting and every 2 weeks promises of this and that and Openreach don't actually do what they said they will. 

And BT as a company is at fault too. Don't promise to provide a service you physically can't. When I ordered the fibre broadband (as no optic was available for my address, which was weird tbh) they told me clearly it's available in my area. Then turns out it's not, new rebuild houses had to be connected up, roads closed, and Openreach do not update customers when issues arise you just sit and wait months to see if you finally get the wifi you were promised.

I am so tired of this fight for wifi but it's been so long that I feel like I can't just go to Virgin and start the process all over again. It's exhausting. I work remotely from home, moved to this house and was promised the wifi will be installed. The 4g EE boxes are terrible. I can barely download anything. My Zoom work calls are cut off often. I AM TIRED. 

Is there anything else I can do? I ring weekly for updates, CS staff tell me contradicting information about the system and Openreach. One person gave me an appointment date via text and email which was fake, turns out openreach never had that on their system. I HATE that I can't call a local Openreach engineering team, ask someone who actually lives around here to explain properly what the issue is. Using BT cs as a buffer is terrible as we never get any answers, and the cs staff aren't engineers and can't explain what is happening. If they told me from the start how big of a job this would have been I would have canceled my bt order. And its not as bt would be loosing a customer and money as with automatic compensation they owe me so much money now. They would be better informing customers so they don't wait 6 months on fibre and not have to pay out.

My order has been 'escalated', which does not seem to mean anything as it doesn't seem like anyone is in a rush to help me. Is there anyway I can ring and request someone higher up to speed this up? Anything else I am missing that I could be doing? Any advice at all is appreciated. 

I am so tired of this. I will say this, when I move again and there isn't a properly working BT and Openreach box in the house I refuse to put myself through this again. I will be using any other provider that doesn't use Openreach. Rather pay twice as much to Virgin than put up with this again. And in seriousness, makes me never want to rely on Openreach ever again (so no thanks sky or bt services). I fear the day a box needs to be repaired or something and they will say 'min 3 weeks for any appointment' as they do now for even escalated issues. 

Sorry for the rant, I am just so exhausted.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Openreach is a joke. 5 months waiting for wifi with little communication and frustrations.

if you have a BT phone number enter that otherwise use your address and then post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

see what is available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Openreach is a joke. 5 months waiting for wifi with little communication and frustrations.

Openreach have never had ‘customer service’ as it’s never been a customer facing organisation, Ofcom dictates the way Openreach operates, and they wanted Openreach to only deal with CP ( communication providers ) and those CP’s deal with their customers, that the way Ofcom want it , OR don’t have any choice but to set up their business the way Ofcom want .

Quite  a few years ago , Openreach suggested to Ofcom, that it would be advantageous in certain circumstances for Openreach to deal directly with consumers, BT apart ,  the majority of other ‘stakeholders’ like Sky , Talk Talk, Vodafone etc. said absolutely not …..if you think the way the industry is set up is wrong , you should at least know who set it up that way .

Although Openreach have the largest network and are normally available ‘everywhere’ , there are exceptions, if a developer, or building / site owner doesn’t want Openreach to be present and lock them out ,or due to incompetence don’t contact OR during construction , that’s their choice , nothing much OR can do about that , you imply that your ‘area’ is a redevelopment, what exactly do you mean ?.

There can be occasions ( for example ) where a local authority demolishes existing housing stock , clearing the entire area of everything that was there ( telegraph poles , ducting , joint boxes ) , rebuild the housing , but don’t involve OR , the original addresses obviously show  the infrastructure that was ripped out by the developers, so orders are accepted in error , against the original address / infrastructure details,  but obviously service cannot be provided, OR then ( if allowed ) have to retrospectively do something about it.

I don’t know if your situation is anything like this , but it’s almost certain that there will be something out of the ordinary about your address, perhaps you can provide some details.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

@momobun

Depending on mobile coverage have you considered getting a 4g/5g mobile broadband contract.

Most of the "big" mobile companies provide it and you do not need to use the same company that you have for your mobile phone, assuming you have one. Prices for unlimited data start at about £20 per month depending on the provider. 

The modem/router that you are given acts in the same way as a "normal" router and you can connect your devices to it via wifi.

Apart from the advantage that you will not need to deal with Openreach the mobile modem/routers are portable and you can use them anywhere that you can get a signal which means if you are holidaying in the UK you can take it with you and like wise if you move house.

Message 5 of 5

They gave me 4G EE boxes and they don't work well. The mobile 4G network where I live isn't that great. I am just hoping they finally finish installation in December as they have said. But last time they said that in September and more issues appeared.
0 Ratings