cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Openreach keep cancelling my order

Hi,

I'm having problems getting broadband connected in a newly built property. An order has been started multiple times and hardware has been received from BT but each time it appears to get stuck/cancelled by OpenReach before an engineer visit. 

Having spoken to BT a number of times there is no real understanding of why the order is not going ahead so I'm looking for advice on what to do next?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Openreach keep cancelling my order

Assuming as new build and FTTP then phone FTTP TEAM 08005874787 and have your serial number from ONT handy and they should be able to help or at least explain problem 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for the response. We are looking at FTTC rather than FTTP. The FTTP installation has not be completed and was going to be tricky, with cables on poles etc. Not sure if the FTTP team will still be able to help us?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Unusual for new build not having FTTP unless developers didn't get in contact with openreach.  If only FTTC then no point in contacting FTTP

Can you enter address and post results including notes.  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Is your address correct on royal mail database 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

Results below from the check. The address is also available when I search with the royal mail.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 07.17.27.png

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 07.17.44.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Its weird ordering FTTC when FTTP is available and the same price , if it’s a new build , presumably it’s a single plot or a small number of plots and the developer didn’t enquire about FTTP or wouldn’t pay the small development contribution.

As native FTTP is available, albeit an overhead connection ( if the developer had used ‘newsites’ it would have been underground and included pre fitting of the FTTP CSP/ONT ) , it’s no big deal , at a time when governments, businesses, and consumers are ‘demanding’ FTTP , it’s odd not to order it when available especially as the argument ‘no disruption using copper ‘ won’t apply.

The survey note is ‘ overhead , line of sight problems’, so a wire from the telegraph pole designated to provide your property service ( FTTC or FTTP ) would have an issue , in that a straight line couldn’t be ‘drawn’ from the pole to your building, possibly another building blocking the path , or the wire would be too close to something , but that would be something that OR would have to provide a solution to ( like a ‘carrier pole’ installed to get around the obstacle ) .

Although it appears  that SoGEA is available ( FTTC without a PSTN phone line ) presumably it’s not because FTTP is available that your order is being cancelled by OR , but to prove that , try ordering FTTP , the speeds on FTTC ( 40,55,80 ) are available on FTTP , just called ‘full fibre’ instead of ‘fibre’ , if the order progresses as FTTP then although it’s not clear , its the case that because FTTP is available, you have to use it , if the FTTP order is also cancelled then presumably it’s something to do with your individual property

Message 7 of 8

Thanks again for the responses.

Our understanding, maybe incorrectly, was that it was only the FTTP service that would require the overhead lines to be installed and we could get phone and FTTC services without the need for the overhead lines. This is the reason we opted for FTTC rather than FTTP.

The developer has installed cables under the ground into the property during the build and there are 2 other properties which are already complete and have service (telephone and FTTC) without the need for overhead lines. Although I realise this may not be relevant.

I'm no expert in this areas so all the info provided so far has been very useful.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

FWIW , the developer never provides ‘cables’ for Openreach ( copper or fibre ) , the developers ground-workers may bury the OR ducts to each property and build the chambers in the footpath linking the boxes to each other and the outside world , and provide internal cables  to phone  sockets , but the network cables are done by OR or OR contractors .
Newsites these days are almost 100% FTTP , but really small developments may not pay the contribution Openreach ask , when it’s 19 or less properties, in those cases it’s not clear if ‘copper’ is provided by newsites  on the historical basis , but either way all the developers would do is install the Openreach supplied equipment ( ducts , jointboxes , cappings , NTE’s etc ) .

I suppose the way to know for sure if there is an underground service to the building , does it have an existing connected NTE ( master socket ) and Openreach duct from a footway jointbox to the external wall , the evidence would be the existence of the grey Openreach plastic duct cover , and capping (  capping 25 , cover 101, or BT66 )   search something like ‘BT duct cover 4’ to see images of these items to gauge if your house has them installed or not .

It would be unusual to have different methods of provision, underground ducts etc for copper and then not use them once  the general area is upgraded to  FTTP , and use the existing pole instead of the ducts etc OR supplied to the builder

….the ‘rules’ around newsites have changed over the years , so it’s possible if the site has been ongoing for a few years , some neighbours houses would be served differently to yours , especially if the developer had a unconventional way of programming the build ( so plots remain unbuilt for years then they get an buyer and the build ) 

In the first place , I would suggest you check with the developer and ask what they agreed with Openreach ( if they agreed anything at all ) , if you object to overhead service ( FTTP or FTTC ) and the builder didn’t actually arrange with Openreach to connect anything to the copper network  ( because OR were only going to build FTTP or use the existing pole if the developer didn’t want FTTP ) , you may ( if you want Openreach based service ) have to accept overhead , even if the developer partially build some underground infrastructure with ‘kit’ OR supplied in the expectation that it would be useful