cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 32

Re: Ordering BT Home Essentials package

In couples only one person may claim a means-tested out-of-work benefit (Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or income-based JobSeeker's Allowance). This is the law both party's of a couple can not claim individualy, BT should be aware of this DWP ruling and in my opinion they should accept an official letter from the DWP just like every other company that requires proof of Benefits, I personally would not say BT do not discriminate against any individual regardless of illness, whoever brought in the process to claim the home essential package needs to review the application process to make the system more fairer to all on benefits that are struggling thru no fault of there own, Keep trying and good luck. 

Message 22 of 32

I most certainly will as the system is so unfair the way it is at present.
Message 23 of 32

Yes you are not allowed to have separate claims and I decided that the income support that is for us as a couple would be better in my partner's account as most of the bills are from his account , this as never been a problem before as it stated on the letter that he claims for both of us but I am the one who can no longer work because of problems with my spine and my partner had to finish work to care for me as I am limited to what I can do.......I just cannot understand why BT have not chosen to except confirmation from the DWP that I am on income related support.                       

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 32

I hope you get this sorted.... I went through exactly the same at the start of March and a very nice lady at the Doncaster loyalty dept got it sorted.... Like you, I am on the Wifes ESA claim as a partner, she also gets PIP and I get carers allowance in my name.
 It would appear the problem you are incurring is that you do not wish to put the account into your partners name, (your reasons are private and I'm not digging)
 What they did for us was to create a new account in the wifes name, (they do a credit check), they then cancelled the 150Mbs service and home phone in my name and waived any fees or charges for early termination of contract... they also stopped the linked BT mobiles and put me on a better deal with EE anyway, again early fees were waived.. 
 The next bit is a little daft, but unfortunately it couldn't be over-ridden, I have had to return my SH2 and disc and have a new SH2 sent out (they log serial numbers so you have to return the correct one)... there is also a £9.99 delivery fee for the new hub, added to first bill.... 
 In fairness, this all went extremely well and the switchover was made 18th Mar.... However, there is a caveat...... I have been billed in advance and money taken on the 21st for my old account... They have also billed and will be taking the money for the new (wifes) account next week on the 27th... I contacted CS, they have assured me the money taken will be refunded on the next billing cycle minus any useage up to the point it was taken... 
 Bear in mind, you will also lose Halo and any of the extra benefits, double mobile data, whole home wifi that sort of thing... We were also pushed onto digital voice
 I will also add, that even though we had to change the account holders name and set up a new account, the direct debit is still coming out of the same bank which is solely in my name.
 It is a PITA, and I had to spend about 40 minutes on a phone call whilst the CS operative spoke to managers etc, but they will do it, but we did have to open a new account... you obviously have your reasons for not wanting to, as I said, they are private, but if it means you can find a way around the red tape then it is worth considering

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 32

I am waiting for another call from BT as I am complaining that because our joint income support is claimed by my partner who also has to care for me and they will not except confirmation from the DWP that I am also entitled to help also  I don't mind the bt account in his name but they have told me to change the account into his name  I will have to pay the full 8 months exit fee.                        Thanks for your Good luck wishes but I think this next phonecall they won't be prepared to help me.                                                                    They don't always phone back and as I am back in hospital tomorrow I won't be home to speak to anyone via phonecall for the next 3 to 7 days.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 32

Might be worth asking to be put through to the loyalty dept.
 As I said, because we had to change accounts but were basically staying with BT they did waive the termination fees.... Maybe I was lucky and got someone very understanding, but they did go to speak to their manager to confirm it could be done..... I don't know if you are married or not, (none of my business), but maybe that helped in my case

Message 27 of 32

@brookes 

as you are dealing with the forum Mods who have take ownership and will help you get this resolved I would suggest that you do not involve other areas of BT as that will just confuse the issue and probably delay a resolution

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 28 of 32

Yes probably help if you are married with having same surname even though it should go on who lives in household.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 32

Hi yes I did get sorted it took a few weeks and all the help I received was from this forum, I did get a lot of negativity at first until I got a message from another guy who said that they would be able to try and help me, so yes is the answer to your question I am now sorted and my partner is now the account holder of our BT account, Good luck

Message 30 of 32

Why can BT help some people in the same position as me and not others ?? Unfortunately I have had yet again an unhelpful part of the BT team !  The way they run there eligibility check is not working for the most vulnerable of us it just doesn't seem fair, looks like we are in deadlock now.

0 Ratings