cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Pay As You Go charge

How can you cancel the £3 per month charge for Pay As You Go? I have never had BT router (my choice) and as such cannot get/want DV (my choice) . I was told I could cancel after the switch over but when I rang they said I couldn't cancel!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Pay As You Go charge

It’s been possible for quite some time to get standalone BT broadband ( so no phone number allocated, and obviously no incoming or outgoing calls are possible including 999 type calls ) , so if you are a relatively new customer why take telephony with the broadband to then try and remove it , rather than order standalone broadband from the start , if you ordered using the website , there  are two different options presented , one for broadband and one broadband with telephone.

If you agreed to telephony you may have a minimum term on it , but irrespective of getting telephone removed ‘for free’ or getting the telephone fee waived , you would have to effectively recontract as a broadband only customer .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks. Have been with BT for many years and used to use landline but moved to PAYGo some time ago as our landline usage went to nil. When BT contacted about DV I  talked to a BT person and was led to believe that if I didnt use PAYG after the changeover I could cancel. What no one explained was that you HAD to have a BT router to get DV! I got the DV adapter but found out it doesn't work unless you have the BT router. Hence I decided to cancel but was told I couldn't. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

if you were not wanting telephony why ask for a DV adapter ? , if you did want telephony via BT ( after migration to DV ) the BT SH2 is a prerequisite, so if you never intended to use a SH2 , then telephony was a pointless item to take , it also follows that the DV adapter is only going to work with the SH2 , as it’s name implies, an adapter to make an ordinary phone work with DV.
How you arrived at this point is somewhat irrelevant, either you misunderstood what they said or they were not particularly clear about the need to use the BT SH2 to access DV , although the briefest visit to this forum would have answered that question.

AFAIK, you can removed DV from BT broadband once out of the telephone minimum term ,  given what you have already been told , perhaps you are within a minimum telephone term , you could always ask for a credit equal to the £3 ‘fee’ for telephony on a PAYG basis, they may consider that .

The alternative is to use the SH2 so that you do have access to DV ( and your DV adapter then has a use ) and use your preferred router in tandem with the SH2 , many customers seem to use the SH2 ( connected first )  simply to access DV including the DV adapter, and then have their own preferred router connected to the SH2 to handle all the other ‘router’ responsibilities, if your router can work as an access point , no issues , if it can’t be set as an AP , it still works but with a few minor inconveniences, so seems the logical thing to do .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

I will look into this 2 router option. BT never made it clear that the BT SH2 was a prerequisite. I am not technically minded so just assumed that if I had a BT line, and was being offered DV, that my router would work with a DV adapter. One of the penalties of being over a certain age. Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings