cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Possibility to cease service at end of contract automatically

I am BT FTTP customer, coming to the end of a two year contract in a couple of months.

I want to know if it is possible to inform BT to simply end my service on the end contract date and not go to rolling. I do not want an early termination charge and I also do not want to pay an extra month beyond the contract I have. Can I notify them of this intent now and have BT handle that at the end of the contract? Or do I have to finely time my notification of service cessation?

I am aware that if I was going to another Openreach provider this would be pointless. But I am not. Never had any issue with the BT service as it was described, but have decided to move to an XGS-PON Altnet in my area primarily because I'm a Software Engineer and I want symmetrical, i.e. 1gbps upload. Openreach, and thus BT, don't offer that currently and I'm not the kind of person to wait for the cutting edge. I was kind of hoping there would be some trial or progress on this front but I haven't seen much movement yet beyond very limited experiments around comparatively very small increases. But also, I realise realistically I'm in a small bracket of customers 😛.

I've gone ahead with this and I'm live already on the alternative. But of course, my BT line remains active but now unused.

Apologies for the question here rather than simply calling to find out for myself. But I would rather get some detail on what my possible options are before the inevitable and, unfortunately in my case, futile retention conversation. Maybe I'll be back one day once Openreach do their own XGS-PON rollout!

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Possibility to cease service at end of contract automatically

You need to give 30 days notice, that can be the last month of any minimum term and is the easiest way to end your service is to do this .
If , for arguments sake , you had 3 months of a minimum term remaining and served notice , although it satisfies the 30 days notice , it’s possible that the request is actioned immediately and you get charged for 2 or 3 months ETC , I doubt it’s possible to ‘diary’ a request for months in advance .