cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Quoted £59.99 for Fibre Essential?

I'm currently on "Fibre Halo 3", which has crept up in price to around £59 per month. Contract runs until March 2024 (so about 11 more months). I wanted to downgrade to the cheapest Fibre Essential, which most pages say is £27 per month. I assume that's only for new customers, but I also assumed that even current customers would get a price closer to that.

However, I called up BT to negotiate and they've quoted me £59.99 per month for Fibre Essential, with a £7.50 saving for the first 24 months (so £52.50). Does this sound right? I wasn't quoted any activation fees or cancellation fees. I feel like I'm being fleeced here, but I don't know enough about changing packages during a contract to be sure.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Quoted £59.99 for Fibre Essential?

The cost of £59 for just fibre essential with no extras and no phone seems expensive to me but you still have a year to run on your current contract and there is no incentive for BT to offer you a good deal to downgrade

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

So they can basically charge whatever the hell they want even if it has little bearing on your actual package? How is that fair?

Am I stuck with this now, or do I have time to cancel/renegotiate? I have pre-contract documents that mention a right to cancel but I don't know if that works the same when you're moving packages rather than signing up as a new customer.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

did you try phoning the options team 0800800030 and see if you can negotiate a new deal for the essential package.

your right to cancel your existing package expired a year ago and you are in a contract which you agreed until 2024.  if you just cancelled your contract or moved to another ISP then you would have cancellation charges to pay based on remainder of your existing contract

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

The right to cancel without termination fees is just 14 days from when the provision of service commenced.  Beyond those 14 days you are contractually obliged to pay for what you've agreed to unless you can consensually agree on changes to the contract.  The best thing you can do is talk to a customer services rep, remembering that other than in exceptional circumstances they are under no obligation to cut you a better deal!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Understood. I would've thought they could do more for me than barely any drop at all, but I know I don't have much of a leg to stand on with 11 months still to run. Oh well

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@funkingandspelunking wrote:

Understood. I would've thought they could do more for me than barely any drop at all, but I know I don't have much of a leg to stand on with 11 months still to run. Oh well

try phoning the options team on number I posted you may be able to negotiate a deal.  you can't be any worse of than you currently are

0 Ratings