cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Re: False Default on my credit file

Good morning DavidM (Moderator) 

Having read the previous threads where it details the customers experience with an incorrect default on their credit file, I find myself in the same position. 

I've been researching how I approach BT to get my credit file corrected as it’s having an impact on my financial position, however before I embark on what sounds to be a very long winded and frustrating process contacting BT by phone, are you able to provide some advice and or support for me to have this issue resolved in a swift and efficient manor please? 

Without going in to too much data on this forum my issue is as follows: 

I’ve been a previous BT customer for Broadband, TV and BT mobile as a BT employee. I left the business in Dec 2022 and as such lost my employee benefits, however, my package transferred over to a normal customer package. 

After paying for the normal customer package for a few months I found a more suitable deal with another provider and as such I contacted BT to cancel my package. I believe this was in March or April 2023. 

Around August/September time 2023 I received contact via letter from BT explaining that I was in arrears with my mobile phone contact and as such I was provided with a demand letter. 

I immediately contacted BT to discuss the matter and over the duration on several phone calls of which resulted in BT accepting responsibility for the mistake by not cancelling the whole package at the time I requested it. In terms of the arrears, the were removed by BT as a response in to accepting that the failure sat with BT and my account was eventually closed. 

My assumption and understanding was that the matter had been dealt with and closed however, I have since been dealing with some financial planning and have noticed a default placed on my credit file by BT as a result of BT incorrectly updating my file. Outside of this default on my credit file I have settled and maintain a very good history and I’m surprised how this incorrect default placed on my file by BT has impacted me financially. 

My credit file shows a default for 3/4 months between June to Oct 2023 on the top three recognised credit file providers. All three credit providers detail 2 missed payments before detailing a settled status on the third/forth month on my credit history. The settled status is a result of the my communication with BT in resolving the arrears by way of BT apologising and accepting responsibility for the error, however, as part of this they have not updated my credit file to remove the error. 

Obviously having a strong credit file is imperative in the UK to obtain many financial offerings and with this default place on my file in error by BT or having not being removed following the resolution, it is having a significant detrimental impact on my otherwise strong credit history. 

Please can I request some support from yourself as a moderator on this community page, or someone alternatively suitable that is able to support me in correcting my credit file swiftly and efficiently in order to avoid me experiencing a similar experience to other customers in terms of frustratingly long winded communications with BT to gain a resolution. 

kind regards Stuart 

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: False Default on my credit file

Hi @Hinch1983 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Can I ask if you have raised a dispute already on this?

As it has been advised this was a mistake I might be able to chase this for you.

I've sent you a private message asking for the details we will need to raise this investigation.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings