cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Re: Moving House

I will be moving next week and when I called BT to start the move process they have insisted that I have to start a new 24 month period, albeit in their words "staying on the same contract". I told them that their website says I can stay on my existing contract as I am keeping the same speed/package but they say this is not possible.

They say I can cancel during the 14 day cooling off period, but when I asked what would happen if I did this - ie would they just pull the plug or move me back to my current deal (and period ending August) they were not able to answer.

Can anyone give a definitive answer on whether I really do need to start a new 24 month period (without even the option to negotiate a better price!) and/or what happens if I pick up the phone to them within the 14 day period and cancel the agreement?

Thanks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

If you are keeping the same package, then there is no requirement for a new 24 month contract.

If you are making changes to your package along with the move, then there is.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

This BT page suggests you need to have 3 months contract remaining when you move definitely not a new 24 month contract 

https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/moving-home/moving-home-with-bt

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Thanks both - it seems as if they're pulling a fast one doesn't it?

I'll give them another call and report back for others' reference in the future.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

If your contract ends in August then that's outwith the 3 months minimum & certainly not pulling a fast one.......

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

@garybs29 wrote:

If your contract ends in August then that's outwith the 3 months minimum & certainly not pulling a fast one.......

they are if trying to insist on 24 month contract whereas the link says if not 3 months left on contract then existing contract will be extended to 3 months

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Are the BT phone agents just woefully ill-informed and under-trained, or do they "pull a fast one" to gain extra commission?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Probably best we focus on the ill-informed/under trained theme...

Either way, the "advice" given on the phone is totally different from what their website states.

As feedback for others, I decided to file a complaint with BT yesterday evening as I believed I had been sold something at odds with what their website states (ie you can continue your existing contract or only have a 3 month extension if you are within 3 months of your current contract ending).

The lady I spoke to (who was very polite by the way and who really tried to help) recommended I keep the order in place and the date planned for the set up at the new property as otherwise I risked delaying the transfer but that I was able to cancel the "new" contract within the 14 day cooling off period (the time starting from the date of the new contract ie next week, not now) with no penalty to pay if I cancel. I got this in writing from her just to be sure. I thought that if I cancelled they would just transfer me back to my current contract until it ends or invoke the 3 month rule, but apparently no so. I guess they want the opportunity to try and sell me a new package.

So I plan to contact BT once I am up and running, see what they can offer and start a new contract if all is ok or move to another provider if they can't offer anything attractive.

Clear as mud...and I fully suspect it will be yet another story from the agent I speak to next time.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

I'm current on hold to BT as I'm raising a similar query - see my own thread on the subject of moving home where I'll post an update shortly.
RIC9380
0 Ratings