cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Re: Two old accounts still active and not closed and one on clearscore for my old address

Realise that this is an old post, but, I have the exact same issue as OP.

An old BT account for an address I no longer live at is showing as active on my credit file.

I moved out in 2010, and it shows as active from 2014 with a nil balance.

Wondered how I can get this removed?

@DavidM 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Two old accounts still active and not closed and one on clearscore for my old address

Old post but still unresolved, still linked on my credit file to another persons account from an address I don't live at or own any more or control if payments are made or not.

Short of going round to the property and asking the new resident to contact BT and ask them to resolve it looks like I'll be stuck with a credit file black mark ticking timebomb if anyone living at that address defaults any payments on their utility in the future.....

Coming up to 3 years in December since the account was 'closed'.

IMG_9329.jpeg.

My account number was: GB25313246, the one linked on my credit file ends '06', I have no way to know what the current residents account number is at the old address but I'm guessing it ends in '06'.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi @Stefbog and @Perfecto999

If your account with BT is closed but still shows active on your credit file, I would recommend raising this with ClearScore.

Katie

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi.

Looked into that in the first instance way back, investigation conclusion: can't assist must be directed by BT to update, contact BT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@Perfecto999 ClearScores partner is Equifax, so you'd need to contact Equifax, or Experian, who will follow this up with us for you. 

You can find out more and the contact form at  How Can I Correct My Credit Report

Ali

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

They are linked yes when you flag something wrong on the credit file in clearscore (data taken from equifax) it creates a ticket with equifax, the outcome of which was you must contact the company who the account is with and they must initiate the removal, we are unable to do anything to change the file without authorisation or notification for things like utility accounts.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

This was the case response from Equifax in this matter after around a 1 week investigation:

===============================

Dear (my name)

Thanks for getting in touch  about the information on your credit report.

BT Consumer has responded to your dispute and have told us that having reviewed the account, they can see it remains active in the name of (my name). They advised that you will need to contact BT Customer Services on 0800 800 150 to discuss this, no amendments are required to the information held on the Credit file.

The information on your credit report belongs to the data provider and we cannot change it without their authorisation. If this is the only dispute you have open the note we’d added automatically stating that your information was under dispute will be removed within the next five days. If you've raised multiple disputes the note will be removed when the last dispute has been resolved.

I hope this answers your query. If there’s anything else we can help you with relating to this question, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch by updating this question in the box below.

If you have a question about any other information on your ClearScore Credit Report please raise a new case by logging in to your ClearScore account at https://app.clearscore.com/login. You might also be able to get the information you need by reviewing the FAQs on the ClearScore website.

Kind regards,

Audrey

Equifax Consumer Support

=====================================

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for explaining all of that for us @Perfecto999.

Normally when you raise a case with any credit reference agency, it's up to them to liaise with our credit file queries team for getting these details corrected. 

If they've come back with the response that this is a legitimate active account, then that would usually suggest that it's still open and needs cancellation; it's very unlikely that the new person at this address would be using your name though.

Have you mentioned the details to the credit reference agency that there is still an active account there for another user? 
This is an avenue they could potentially explore with our credit file team, just in case there has been any mis-match.

Peter

0 Ratings