cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Recently ordered Full fibre

Hi,

New here so be nice please!! I ordered Fibre 900 on 19th October 2023, Was assured it'll be a fast install time because I live in a new build flat and all the cabling etc is already there. There is a box in a cupboard in my flat with the white BT fibre modem and battery backup in with an optical cable connected to said white box which I presume is the modem?

Later that day I received an install date of 9th November 2023, Not as quick as expected!

I called BT and explained again everything is already here nothing needs installing etc, They advised me my property is showing up as nothing installed so nothing can be done.

Is this the case or am I being fed a lie? Sorry for being untrusting but I have been with Virgin for a long time!! Because on ordering I was assured it'll be a quick install.

Any help appreciated

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Recently ordered Full fibre

when you order you get the next available openreach connection slot for your area.  there is no jump queue because you may have some fibre already fitted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

I didn't mean I wanted to Queue jump, I have 2 appointments scheduled.

First one is to look at the outside of the building and second is to install, I just wondered if the connecting could be done in 1 appointment because of equipment already being here and built into the walls by the house developer.

J
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

In addition to what has already been said, there is a short cooling-off period between the order and installation.  It's also not uncommon in a new build to have some infrastructure in place before everything is fully connected - building contractors can put equipment in place, but it can often need an OpenReach engineer to give it a once over before it's finally connected and usable!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

When you say new build , what year was your flat built  ?, if your Openreach ONT has a BBU ( battery back up ) they haven’t been fitted for many years , if the flat is a few years old , it’s possible it has Openreach FTTP , but the previous occupants have never actually contacted an ISP and arranged to use the connection, 

The ONT ( providing it’s powered and switched on ) should have the PON light lit , if the light is lit and steady then optically it’s effectively ready to go , if the PON light is flashing , or not lit ( in which case the LOS should be on ) then irrespective of the ONT being physically installed, Openreach will need to attend.

Its possible that even if the PON light is on and steady , if you cannot be brought into service remotely, OR will visit ( even if they ultimately pass the fault to another group ) 

You can check the status of your address here

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Post the entire return 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Hi 

I believe the flat was built 2017/2018ish This is what is shown on the wholesale website - 

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Up to 1000Up to 220--AvailableKCI2 Assure
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL Multicast
Available

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Multi Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

---

This is the kit that's in the cupboard.

BT.jpg

Cheers

J

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

LOS=Loss of Optical Signal.

Its not physically connected to the network yet. You will have to wait until Openreach makes the connection.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

The picture resolution is poor ( or my eyes are  ) but there is a red light lit  , if that is the LOS light , then your ONT is fitted but it’s not working and you will need an engineer visit ,

The survey return
Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Multi Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

is what you would expect for an address that has availability but never had FTTP fitted , so either that installation was never ‘finished’ , which is possible if a previous occupant moved in before OR had finished the install , and when OR tried to get access , they were told to go away , or the flat was sold to someone who never intended to live in it , so was simply no access because there was never anyone ‘home’ when OR tried to get in, or somehow over the years the address has been changed to show no ONT fitted 

Unfortunately you cannot be remotely brought into service, you need an ‘installer’ visit 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Thank you.

I just hope the engineer that visits on the 31st to view the outside calls me before doing so, So I can tell them that the gear is already here. Maybe they can connect me on the 31st instead of waiting until 9th November.

J

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Looks like the third light from the left.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/lights-on-the-openreach-modem

0 Ratings