cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Renewal confusion.

Go to solution

BT have been in contact to say that my contract will expire soon.

I have spoken to them but am still confused. 

Long story short, I have FTTC and want to renew without having a FTTP install if possible. My speed is adequate for my needs.

I've been told that any renewal option will involve a FTTP install, even if I stay on the same speed, because of Digital Voice migration. Previously I have been informed that DV can operate over FTTC, so no new install necessary.....yet. 

What happens if I don't renew and the contract just rolls over? Will an engineer still come round to change all my wiring?

I am sure this can't be correct but it's what BT have told me.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Renewal confusion.

Go to solution

Digital Voice (DV) does work with FTTC and FTTP so there is no need for you to move just to get DV but it may be that Openreach are no longer supplying FTTC connections and any new customers will have to be on FTTP. It may also be the case that BT are no longer offering renewals for FTTC customers and instead offering the same package with a change to FTTP..

If you do not renew your contract it will just go onto a 30day rolling contract although you will lose any discounts that you may have for being in a fixed term contract.

You will at some point in the future have no choice and your broadband will be moved onto FTTP. When that happens you will be informed about the move and what it involves. 

It will necessitate some new equipment being installed externally and internally to your property but this will be done in consultation with you and at no expense to you.  

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

As stated ( and you already know ) DV works on FTTC as well as FTTP , FWIW it also works with ADSL , but the fact is once FTTP is available, it becomes the default ( preferred ) network for Openreach , so their ISP customers like BT are incentivised to get customers onto FTTP and off copper ( it’s an unnecessary cost to run both the new FTTP and legacy copper networks simultaneously ) , if you look to renew with your provider , or change provider , the opportunity to shift you onto FTTP should be taken , if your preference isn’t to take FTTP ( for whatever reason you may have ) you can ( for now ) remain on your existing ‘deal’ on an ‘out of contract’ basis, but this probably will cost you more ££’s , than being within a minimum term and getting a discount for that , that’s your choice , pay more stick with copper , pay less , move to FTTP , it’s perfectly reasonable ( in my view ) not to offer you both a ‘deal’ and the option to stay on copper when FTTP is available.

As far as ‘forced’ migration to FTTP , that won’t happen , but what may happen , maybe in 5+ years or more is you will be asked to change to FTTP or simply have your copper pair service terminated ( switched off ), but perhaps many years of paying more than necessary may persuade you to voluntarily change , some people are getting communications asking them to call to arrange FTTP installation, implying that is compulsory, but it isn’t , if the person doesn’t call and arrange a date , nothing currently happens.

The only  ‘unfair’ situation I foresee, is if a tenant of a private landlord is denied moving to FTTP , not because the tenant doesn’t want it , but because the landlord doesn’t want and new work on their property, and says to the tenant that you are not allowed to upgrade to FTTP .

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for your replies. this is very helpful.

I'm more clued up now 🙂

0 Ratings