cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Renewal

I have been called by BT with a “special offer” to renew my contract 6 months before it ends. The offer was actually the same price I am already paying, on checking on various switching sites I can get the same deal for about 25% less than my current price with BT. I can also get the same speed for almost half the price with another supplier. Surely BT realise this will anger existing long term customers?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Renewal

@Macspurswrote:

Surely BT realise this will anger existing long term customers?

In my experience of the last 12 years or so, BT have very little regard for customer retention. They seem far more concerned with luring new customers with lower prices & cashback offers. Presumably like insurance companies before the practice was banned, those that renew at higher than necessary prices outweigh those that leave.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Up until this renewal offer BT have been only slightly more expensive than others and in my opinion have provided brilliant service and quality performance. I don’t remember BT offering significant discounts to new customers and not existing customers. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Maybe you've had Halo in the past which supposedly guaranteed a renewal wouldn't be more expensive than a new customer deal? But I used to flip-flop between BT & Plusnet every contract end due to silly renewal quotes.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Call BT 0800.800.030 and ask for retentions department. 

Be prepared to negotiate so do your home work first and see what other providers are offering as well as the ones you have already quoted and see what they will offer.

Unless you have a pressing need for it do not bother with addons like Halo 3. They will try and up sell it to you.

If you are not sure what it is have a look at the BT website.

All new BT Halo | The UK’s first unbreakable wi-fi | BT

If they do not offer what you are looking for then be prepared to move to a provider that will meet your needs.

Message 6 of 6

"Maybe you've had Halo in the past which supposedly guaranteed a renewal wouldn't be more expensive than a new customer deal?"

That may still be true, but BT's trick is to offer new customers a non-Halo deal at about half the price of the Halo deal. But they do everything they can NOT to offer a non-Halo deal to existing customers who are on Halo.
Halo offers very questionable extra benefits (like their "keep connected" promise and access to "technical experts"), but is a very clever (but in my view very questionable) way of keeping existing customers on more expensive contracts.
0 Ratings