cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Superfast fibre or not?

Go to solution

Hi all, bit of a complicated one. 

I had virgin media booked to install fibre optic at our house but when they came to do the work on our front they said it was "out of their budget" 

So long story short I decided to go with BT Superfast fibre, but all they have done is send me a modem and not given me an appointment, I have no fibre cable coming to our house at all, the socket on the wall is just DSL into the modem (the same as we had with sky before asking to get virgin)

So my question is how can this be called Fibre if we aren't getting a fibre optic cable installed to the house.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Superfast fibre or not?

Go to solution

So my question is how can this be called Fibre if we aren't getting a fibre optic cable installed to the house.

@JamesJoseph  are you sure its not just a BT Smart hub 2 that they have sent?

Superfast "Fibre" can mean fibre to the cabinet, and copper to your house.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
That's the one mate yes, damn.

Hopefully they provide better service than Sky as my internet was supposed to be 60 and it used to drop down to 2-3 most afternoons!

The downside of living in the country lol.

Thanks for the fast reply!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

BT would have given you an estimated speed range, and a StayFast guaranteed speed.

Connection speed should not vary, but download speed would be affected by contention, as the backhaul link is shared, but I would not expect a download speed as low as 2Mbs.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

All the companies are using this ploy to try and gain custom. As advertised superfast fibre is a copper wire to your house. Why this is not recognised as a scam i don't know. In my opinion it is. It's an outragious deception to misle people with no or limited electronic knowledge.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The vast majority of VM customers don’t have a fibre into their homes , they have a copper coax cable , so the chances are , unless you are in one of the relatively small areas of proper VM FTTP ( they do have some areas like this ) then even if your VM  install was cost effective , you wouldn’t be getting FTTP from them, but ‘cable’
If you can get FTTC from BT, this is similar to the system that VM employ in most of the areas they cover, fibre up-to a point , and a copper cable the last part of the way into the property ( admittedly they can squeeze faster speed down a coax than a copper pair but it’s still not FTTP  )

VM call their non FTTP cable service ‘fibre’ , in fact they started calling their hybrid fibre/copper service ‘fibre’ before anyone else, so it’s not surprising that similar hybrid systems are also called fibre, so you don’t need a fibre into your home for the service to be called ‘fibre’ broadband….

Superfast broadband is normally taken to be speeds between 30 and 100Mb, it’s not a description of the delivery media….Ultrafast speeds are 100Mb and above and don’t have to be FTTP although most Ultrafast services will be.

If you get the speed you are advised you should get , then what does it matter anyway, if you were told you would get ( for example ) 65Mb , you don’t need FTTP deliver that .

If VM were installing true FTTP where you are , but won’t provide you with it , and your issue is with the fact that company’s can use the term ‘Fibre’ when it’s not FTTP, the advertising authority didn’t have an issue with VM using that for their cable areas , most company’s that offer both FTTC and FTTP ( depending on the area ) tend to use terms such as ‘full fibre’ to differentiate between FTTP and FTTC.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks everyone for the very detailed replies,

The only reason I needed to know is because our bandwidth with sky is shocking, I can't even stream itunes and play a game, if my partner puts a netflix show on it literally just takes our speeds down to 2-5mb which is ridiculous.

Hopefully BT and this new router may help with that. 

0 Ratings