cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Support for Vulnerable Elderly Customers

Hi,

I am trying to understand what support is available to elderly customers? I have seen there is a vulnerable individuals policy; however, the number that it suggests to call just gets you through to the automated help desk not a specific team

My mother in law pays more for her broadband and landline than she does for gas and electricity - £65/month. We have contacted BT on her behalf before and were told that the best price was a couple of pence less than this. She does not qualify for the Home Essentials package. As someone in her 80s, she would not be able to upgrade herself, is worried about the loss of her telephone line in a powercut and does not feel confident asking questions herself - she forwards any correspondence to us. Not being the account holder, it is hard to gain advice on what options might be available and I have struggled to find information to help.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Support for Vulnerable Elderly Customers

make sure mother in law registered here  https://www.bt.com/help/here-for-you

can your mother in law access her MYBT?  if you you can then get access and appoint yourself account manager.  you then can manage the account and discuss with BT on het behalf

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your quick response.

I had seen this; however, I was unclear from the BT site how this would help her. She doesn't require any medical related adjustments, she is just paying too much for her connectivity needs, isn't comfortable talking about her requirements directly with BT / doesn't feel confident (or understand) about upgrading on her own.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

It does seem excessive to pay £65 for broadband (the cost includes the landline).

What service does your mother-in-law have, are there any add-ons over and above broadband?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi,

There are no add-ons, she doesn't even have a smart TV. Just old copper broadband and a pstn telephone line. She uses the internet for a bit of shopping, sending emails and does video calls via an Amazon echo device.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

If paying £65  for broadband and phone , that is more than necessary even if the social tariff isn’t qualified for, so that rather begs the question , what is included in the £65  , if it includes an ‘anytime’ calls package , that can be £18 a month , but even that would still be around £20 less than the amount stated  , so unless on a legacy package ( and out of contract so paying much more than necessary ) the obvious thing is to recontract for less , if within a minimum term , then the chances are they are paying for more ‘extras’ than a standard broadband package , if inside a minimum term then the contract must have  24 months or less remaining and £65 hasn’t been a price for ordinary broadband and phone during that time .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Try this site;

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/broadband-social-tariffs/

BT costs less than £20 on a social tariff if your vulnerable family member has certain benefits.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I guess you didn't read the first post.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

ah she doesn't qualify, yes I skimmed that.

0 Ratings