cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Switch to EE and get 1.6Gb plus Wifi 6 router? but no options when I sign in to BT account

Hi,

I currently have BT broadband (900) and been out of contract for the past couple of months. I was going to switch to Vodafone beacuse they have a Wifi 6 router and some extras in the package and it is a lot cheaper, around 20gbp per month less.

I have been looking about and see EE have 1.6Gb for aoround same current non contract price plus some extra stuff added, such as wifi kit and some sort of traffic management too as well as wifi 6 router.

How do i go about getting EE 1.6GB because it always advises i am already a customer of BT and sign in but i don't get that 1.6 option or the extras that are shown and simply put the BT options I get are poor compare to Vodafone or the EE options.

Any help is appreciated.

T

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Switch to EE and get 1.6Gb plus Wifi 6 router? but no options when I sign in to BT account

From other post the 1.6gb package is currently only available to new EE customer not switches from BT. Hopefully BT/EE will get this sorted and then you will be able to move to EE and get 1.6gb package 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 14

Re: Switch to EE and get 1.6Gb plus Wifi 6 router? but no options when I sign in to BT account

I'd be very cautious about switching to Vodafone for their WiFi6 router - it's only available on some of their higher tier contracts, and if you visit their forums, it's a bit buggy.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 4 of 14

They still seem to be figuring it all out. The systems for transferring from BT to EE still seem to be in their very early stages yet... so your milage will vary right now whether you will successfully transfer over to the 1.6gbps or not. 

Some people have had successes and some have had failures. 

BT broadband full WiFi transfer to EE 1.6gbps - The EE Community

Absolute shambles with move to EE from BT - Page 2 - BT Community (Check the last few messages on this one for a success story!)

I'd say wait a few months for them to straighten things out.

Message 5 of 14

@T_UK it wasn't as straightforward as I wished, and included some big mess, but as @c64z86 linked my story about migration from BT FF900 to EE !.6 Gbps BB, it seems to be possible (even a few things was in need to be narrowed by moderators here, to be fair - Big thanks to @DavidM ! for his help)...

Please be aware, that not even the new EE Smart Hub Plus (2023) will give You more than 1 Gbps on LAN (wired) whilst not having multi-gig ports... on WiFi, I am now around 1.1 to 1.3 Gbps via EE Hub, but sometimes down to 1 Gbps...

It took me approx a month, from the original request (and the order which was canceled), with waiting 17 days for the Openreach engineer to swap ONT for a new model (but there was a Christmas period around, which had a negative effect...

Message 6 of 14

From what I have read the EE 1.6Gb was a trial in limited areas but for some reason was just rolled out for all customers. This has now been put on a temporary hold to sort the situation out as it appears that the ONT needs replacing as the older EE and possibly the BT ones used could only produce speeds up to 1Gb - not sure how accurate this is but the newer ONTs that are being supplied by EE are up to 2.4Gb.

Technically the ONT is owned and supplied by Openreach so there is a bit of poetic licence in the above narrative re the ISPs.

Message 7 of 14

@conrad not sure what and where was put on hold, while my "ONT swap" occurs on 29/12 and my friends ones just yesterday and today at absolutely geographic different areas..

1.6 Gbps EE offer is still publicly on website and if you call them and demand it, you will be offered to go for it...

Not as clear migration, but "taking over the line" as virtually new customer, but yeah, will do...

Message 8 of 14

cannot be any worse than BT hub? Stuck with BT hub due to phone line, which is not ideal either. Expected the wifi 6 would be at least better but maybe you are right
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Wish things were just simple...nothing these days seem to be. Always a catch with somthing, like good speed, bad router, great reliability but slow..always a compromise.

thanks for all the replies guys., much appreciated.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

@T_UK 

Actually, this is what I getting on WiFi on EE SHP (2023):

Can be better (and it's time to time, WHEN I unplugged all network and only one Device was connected to WiFi, I was able get up to 1.5 Gbps doen).

Biggest down it's limit 1 Gbps on LAN, which actually don't make sense at all, when you selling 1.6 Gbps package...

Screenshot_2024-01-04-22-57-02-832_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

I sacrificed my DV line, but be fair, wasn't in use almost at all. Different story might be for someone who has number for 10+ years...

I will go for VOIP if landline needed in future (or if EE will allow it for 1.6 Gbps maybe with them)...

Third party network equipment it's also in progress, just my new AP is on back order (TP-Link EAP670 (ALL 3 WiFi bands on 5 GHz, and 2.5 Gbps backbone + reasonable price)...