cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Switching from Virgin Media to BT - Dilemma

Hi, we have been with Virgin Media since the old NTL days - close to two decades. But its time for change as our Virgin media bill is about £70 odd quid per month these days for 200mbps download and 20mbps upload... oh and their useless Super Hub 3! on top of that it includes basic phone line package ("talk weekends") and basic TV package ("player").

We never watch the TV box so we don't need that.

We never use the landline anymore so we don't need that either. 

I'm tempted to change to BT 150MPBS FTTP package - here is why:

• Whilst this is not as fast as 200mbps we get on Virgin Media - for a house of four people 150mpbs should still be enough, surely?
  • Fibre to the premises - A fresh installation into our home gives us an opportunity to reposition where the Broadband WiFi router will be. I see this as a chance to get the WiFi positioned closer to the centre of our home rather than at the front of the house where our current broadband is. As long as there is a double gang socket its best to have the WiFi at the centre of the home, right? 
  • I understand the ping should be a lot lower with FTTP, am I right? currently we have a ping of 30ms but it used to be 19ms a few years ago - just another sign that VM has got worse yet charged more. 
  • Cost saving - it looks to me that the 150mbps package on BT is around £35 a month for broadband only. Thats great compared to what we are paying now.

However I have a dilemma, 

Apparently BT are due to release a new Smart Hub - one that takes advantage of WiFi 6 (802.11ax). 

Allegedly this Hub will be available sometime in July this year.  

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/01/bt-uk-set-to-launch-smart-hub-3-broadband-router-in-ju... 

My question to you all is - is it worth holding off and waiting for the new hub? 

Whilst we probably won't notice the difference in connection speed it sounds like there could be some good advantages of WiFi 6 such as frequency-division multiple access (FDMA) - Apparently this increases efficiency of bandwidth use.

However WiFi 6 means slightly less range than WiFi 5

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Switching from Virgin Media to BT - Dilemma

how many of your existing devices are wifi 6 capable?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

I wouldn't worry about wifi 6 at the moment. if you can save money by switching go for it. If wifi 6 becomes essential to you in the future, you could always invest in a suitable router and use that in lieu of the smart hub.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

iPhone, iPad and Laptop 🙂
0 Ratings