cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: Trying to cancel BT contract

Go to solution

If that’s the case why have BT told me in 3 separate calls that I can move from by to a new provider without any problems or delays in the new service as long as the new service does not start before the existing account ends on 30 June? 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

Bt have told me I must give 30 days notice otherwise I will move to a rolling contract, that is alll I have done.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

You only cancel your contract with BT if you are moving to a non-Openreach provider.

You are completely screwing things up by trying to cancel if you are moving to another provider which uses OPenreach infrastructure. The proper process is completely streamlined.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

This is completely the opposite of what 3 separate BT staff in 3 different phone calls have told me.

Each BT person I have spoken to in the last few days has told me that as I currently have a Halo contract, the only deals they can offer to switch to when my contract ends on 24 June is to take on another Halo contract which is much too expensive. I don’t want Halo, I want full fibre 100 and 3 separate staff at Bt  value teams have said I need to end my contract on 24 June and enter a new one as a new customer - or move to another provider. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

You won't get 'new customer' price by ending your contract and starting a new one with BT, you will also get a break in service.

If you are moving to a different provider, follow the correct procedure.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

This is not what bt have told me. See the comments I’m only offering halo packages please, and BT staff advice to cease the contract when it ends and take out a new contract with BT or another provider. I’m not sure why the advice on this forum is different to what BT staff have told me 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

This is not what bt have told me. They are only offering halo packages , and BT staff advice to cease the contract when it ends and take out a new contract with BT or another provider. I’m not sure why the advice on this forum is different to what BT staff have told me as I’ve been told this in3 separate calls to bt this week

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

This is how you should have moved to new ISP

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switchi...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

Thank you. In 3 calls to BT this has never been mentioned. I have been told that if I want to move to a new provider or get a non Halo BY new deal (full fibre 100) I have to give BT 30 days notice then set up a new provider or new bT deal in the phone or website. Please can a moderator advise on the best thing to do? People on this forum are helpfully advising one thing and BT are telling me another.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

See the following link regarding what you should have done if you wanted to move to a new provider when your fixed term contract ends.

Switching broadband provider - Ofcom

You are always in a contract with your broadband provider. If you were not you would not be provided with any broadband.

When you first joined BT you would be on a "fixed term contract" which as the name implies a fixed term, usually 24 months and usually included some sort of price discount for taking out the fixed term contract. If you wished to end that contract there would be cancellation fees.

See link

Leaving BT | BT Help

When the "fixed term contract" ends you are still in a contract with BT but you can leave  without cancellation fees after giving 30 days notice or if you use the correct procedure to move to another broadband provider.

If you were not in a contract your broadband would stop. This is what will now happen because you have given BT notice that you want to leave.  

Because you have not followed the correct procedure when moving to a new provider, your new provider can not take over your line until BT have complied with the law and kept a cease on your line for 14 days. This is to stop lines being "unlawfully" taken over by other companies.

Had you followed the correct procedure as per the above Ofcom link, your new provider could have seamlessly taken over your line and informed BT for you provided you had contacted your new company at least 14 days before your fixed term contract ended. 

0 Ratings