cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Unknown charge

Go to solution

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I recently noticed my credit score was dropping, on looking into it I apparently haven't paid BT £13.00 a month since November. I don't have anything with BT nor have I received any communication from BT saying I haven't paid. Any suggestions on how I can solve this?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Unknown charge

Go to solution

@Endless21 

If you are not a BT customer, then you will need to raise a report with whoever the debt is with.

Have you ever been a BT customer?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
  • I tried that but I have no paperwork to prove anything. 
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

I was with BT around 5 years ago.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I assume you have checked your bank statements to make sure BT was not deducting any money before November?

Did you sign up for BT Premium Mail when you left BT, so you keep your BT email address?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Nothing in bank statements, I don't have anything with BT. I have 2 mobiles with EE who I have been with for 8 years but those 2 bills show as EE. Didn't keep email address either. I have found an email address of the App I'm using so have contacted them, fingers crossed they can sort it out.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

If you can find out which company has shown the debt.

The first thing you need to do is raise a dispute with either Equifax or Experian, depending on who the debt is with. You can do that at 

• Online at www.equifax.co.uk/ask
  • Call 0800 014 2955
  • Address – Equifax Ltd
    • Customer Service Centre
    • PO Box 10036
    • Leicester
    • LE3 4FS

or 

• Online at www.experian.co.uk
  • Call 0344 481 8000
  • Address - Experian Headquarters Talbot House
    • Talbot Street
    • Nottingham
    • N80 1TH

They'll then liaise with BT for you if they are the ones who have raised the issue.

Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Screenshot_20230222_201112_TotallyMoney.jpg

 This is an account from 2010, not sure why 13 years later it's reactivated. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

The only thing that could cost £13 per month would be a BT mobile sim, did you ever have a sim only deal with BT ?
You say you're now with EE, maybe when switching you only ported one number.

Follow the advice from @Keith_Beddoe and see what they come back with.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Given that the payment history doesn’t show any on time payments at all prior to October 2022 , and the missed payments start October, it suggests something was ‘bought’ just before October, from BT , by someone, and whatever it was costs £13  but no payment  has ever been made, or was £2.60 a month , either way the balance owed shows £13.

If it wasn’t you that bought whatever this thing was  ( an item or a service ) for  £13 in August or September 2022, or £2.60 a month then presumably someone else did , using your dormant account , or impersonated you in some way , and after 6 months , you are being chased for the non payment because it’s in your name, but TBH , £13 is hardly likely to be fraud.

If it wasn’t you that bought something from BT around 6 months ago , it presumably was someone who could successfully pretend to be you,  to get BT to supply them with whatever was purchased, or possibly you owe £13 from way back in the past , that unpaid bill has eventually been processed, and they have tried 5 times ( once per month since October ) to recover this amount .
My guess is that you owed £13 from when you were a BT customer, and although it’s been quite a while, it’s still money owed, and since October, BT have tried 5 times to recover the debt, but chances are the account number they had , ending **2629 , is no longer valid account, hence the failure to collect.

Do you recognise the account number ending 2629 ?

0 Ratings