cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Victim of fraud by former tenant affecting credit score

Go to solution

I have been living in Australia since 2012 and have just returned to the UK in October 2022. I have checked my credit score and found an outstanding debt to BT which Has been passed onto a debt collection agency. I have never had an account with BT and I believe it was my former tenant who rented my property from 2012 to 2014 when it was sold. I have a letter from BT that was sent to my mothers (who has dementia) address regarding this debt in 2017 with details of the account number and the fact it was being passed onto a debt collection agency. I have phoned BT who have told me they can’t give any details about this account and I should contact the debt collector. I would like a statement about this account to show the dates of the default so that I can prove that I wasn’t even in the country at that time and show the tenancy agreements and prove that this tenant fraudulently used my name to open an account and absconded without paying. Through no fault of my own this is affecting my credit score in order for me to get a mortgage. Can a moderator/anyone help so I can get details and get this resolved please?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Victim of fraud by former tenant affecting credit score

Go to solution

@VictimofIDtheft 

The first thing you need to do is raise a dispute with either Equifax or Experian, depending on who the debt is with. You can do that at 

• Online at www.equifax.co.uk/ask
  • Call 0800 014 2955
  • Address – Equifax Ltd
    • Customer Service Centre
    • PO Box 10036
    • Leicester
    • LE3 4FS

or 

• Online at www.experian.co.uk
  • Call 0344 481 8000
  • Address - Experian Headquarters Talbot House
    • Talbot Street
    • Nottingham
    • N80 1TH

They'll then liaise with BT for you.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Victim of fraud by former tenant affecting credit score

Go to solution

If you have not done so you should contact the Police and report that you have been the victim of fraud.