cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Watching using BT box after cancellation

Go to solution

Hi, 

Due to BT not fulfilling their promises and contract properly.  I may need to cancel my BT TV subscription so I can go on a rolling contract for services (phone/broadband) and cancel the tv part.

If I cancel the BT TV part, will I still be able to use the BT box for Freeview channels such as BBC1 etc… or will box completely stop working . Also I’m guessing any saved films/shows will also be unavailable. BT box is a really old box , probably over 10 years old

To confirm we will still have internet with them and phone but not TV contract.

BT has been a farce from beginning to end and give me false information just to get me into contract , which they couldn’t reverse (under 14 days)

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hello @Anubis1973m  and welcome to the community. I’m sor...

Go to solution

Hello @Anubis1973m  and welcome to the community.

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles.

Yes if you cancel BT cannot block the FreeView side of things as it’s free to view no subscription required BUT you’ll be charged £140 for FAILING to return the TV box if it’s a BT TB Pro Box, you can continue to use on FreeView but it’s always recommended to return the equipment.

Hope this helps! 🙂 If you like my reply and
want to say thanks for the helpful answer
then please click on the Kudos on left hand
side 😉 also if I answers your question correctly please let us know by clicking on Mark as Accepted Solution 😄
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: Watching using BT box after cancellation

Go to solution

BT box is over 10 years old is a box without any form of wifi

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hello @Anubis1973m thanks for the updated information.

Mira unlikely BT would request this TV Box back, is it a Z4 Box by any chance?

You can continue to use FreeView on the tv box just paid subscriptions will be removed.

Hope this helps! 🙂 If you like my reply and
want to say thanks for the helpful answer
then please click on the Kudos on left hand
side 😉 also if I answers your question correctly please let us know by clicking on Mark as Accepted Solution 😄
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
It’s basically an old YouView box
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Anubis1973m 

If you got the box before 13/12/2019 then regardless as to what anyone in Customer Support says then the box is yours to keep.

Here's the link that confirms that.

Obviously any subscription recordings will not be playable but it will continue to function as a Freeview player/recorder.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @Anubis1973m  

Most points  have been made by others

If you have a Youview  box connected  to a BT broadband  line and no BT  TV subscription  then

The box will retain  a BT skin   (as this is determined  by the ISP that is connected). That also means that the BT channels will still be listed in the EPG unless you hide them

The aerial  delivered  Freeview  channels will be as before. Existing  recordings from these channels will remain and be playable , new recordings  can be made.

Old BT Tv subscription  channels  recordings  will remain on the box but will not be playable  unless you take out a subscription again that includes those channels.

Software updates and app updates will continue  to be available  whilst that model of box  continues to be supported. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Just cancelled my TV , said I need to return box to them or £30 charge .

This is an old BT TV box (you view box) was many years before 2019. 

Do I ignore the returns or have to contact  them again.  I know I have to return the Wi-Fi discs and will be doing so but the BT box 

0 Ratings