cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Why I keep getting billed after more than a month since I have switched to SKY?

My new SKY contract started the 7th of August, OpenReach engineer came and everything is up and running and I still ended up paying the BT bill for the entirety of August, initially got told it was SKY fault to not communicate and to call them and raise it with them as the BT account cannot be closed otherwise.

Then SKY obviously said that its all up and running and they cannot close the BT account themselves, called BT back, received the email that says they stopped the service (got 3 emails in fact) but still I got charged both August and now even September, more than a month since I told them to stop, I was in fact not even meant to tell them as this was supposed to be a SWITCH and it clearly says that I would not have to be involved as the details should have been exchanged between the two companies.

I really don't know what to do, it feels like I am hitting a wall of incompetence here, one more time I called, I spoked to the Billing rep and they said they would deduct the fees for my last bill, I called them once again to let them know and they once again changed stance, I did not get any deduction at all and now I also ended up paying even the September bill in full for a broadband that has been deactivated but here I am still paying for it.

1) They keep saying to wait for a "final bill" but I am yet to understand what this final bill is as I am out of contract since last year, and not the August bill nor the September one I have received says "this is your final bill"
2) I really dont understand why I ended up paying for both August and September, when this whole thing was supposed to end at the beginning of August already.
3) I kept calling, got different answers, I feel I am constantly in a loop and I am furious right now how this ended up becoming.

Finally, yesterday I sent back the broadband kit, so really, I have done everything from my side, but I did not expect to still keep paying for two whole months.

What should I do?
Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Why I keep getting billed after more than a month since I have switched to SKY?

As you state Openreach installed your ‘Sky’ service , rather than taking over your ‘BT’ service, presumably you had FTTP installed, if you assumed Sky would cancel your BT FTTC service ( serve notice on your behalf ) that’s nothing to do with BT , if they or you didn’t tell BT , then the FTTC would work indefinitely .

Once you did serve notice to BT yourself, it’s a 30 day notice period , so you pay for the month after that date , billing periods rarely coincide with contractual start / end dates , so it’s if a new bill were already being prepared, ( for example, half way through the 30 day notice period ) , getting a second bill after your notice was served ( but not completed ) isn’t unusual,  any days paid for after the notice period has expired, are refunded, so basically two bills after advising your provider can be normal .