cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Why does changing my service from Fibre 1 23Mb to Fibre 1 50Mb need engineer visit & new equipment?

Go to solution

Hi

I've looking to change my BT Broadband service from Fibre 1 (23Mb) to Fibre 1 (50Mb), though when I try to place the order for this it's indicating I will receive new equipment, and require an engineer to visit. This isn't really convenient as this is a holiday property and it's really difficult to make sure someone is onsite for an engineer to visit?

Regards 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Why does changing my service from Fibre 1 23Mb to Fibre 1 50Mb need engineer visit & new equ

Go to solution

BT fibre 1 has a speed up to 55mb and if you are only getting 23mb just now that would suggest that is best your line can handle and you are not able to get 50mb connection speed

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number  this will show what is available to you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Re: Why does changing my service from Fibre 1 23Mb to Fibre 1 50Mb need engineer visit & new equ

Go to solution

Hi

Many thanks for the reply, below are the results as instructed:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) 

Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)

Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

High

Low

High

Low

VDSL Range A (Clean) 

Unavailable

Available

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

Unavailable

Available

G.fast Range A (Clean) 

--

--

--

--

--

Unavailable

--

G.fast Range B (Impacted) 

--

--

--

--

--

Unavailable

--

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) 

Downstream Range (Mbps)

Availability Date

FTTP Install Process

WBC FTTP

Up to 1000

Up to 220

--

Available

1 Stage

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate (Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+

Up to 3.5 

-- 

2 to 6

Available

WBC ADSL2+ Annex M

Up to 3.5 

Up to 0.5 

2 to 6

Available

ADSL Max

Up to 2.5 

-- 

1.5 to 5

Available

Fixed Rate

-- 

--

Available

SOADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate (Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC SOADSL Availability Date

WBC SOADSL 2+

Up to 3.5 

-- 

2.0 to 6.0

Available

SOADSL Max 

Up to 2.5 

-- 

1.5 to 5.0

Available

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast

Available

Exchange Product Restrictions

Status

FTTP Priority Exchange

N

WLR Withdrawal

Y

SOADSL Restriction

N

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception. 

Thank you for your interest

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

thanks

from what you have posted you cannot get any faster connection on your current FTTC connection.  however you can upgrade to FTTP and then you can get faster up to 900mb connection.  if you want to move to FTTP then try retentions team and see what you can negotiate for the upgrade 08007831401

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I suspect the change you have requested involves moving to full fibre which will obviously need an engineer to install.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying regarding the need for engineer visit.

To be honest I'm not too bothered at the moment by the extra speed, the current speed is plenty enough for a small holiday cottage. It's just our current (old) contract is 23Mb at £34.30, and the new (cheaper) contract is for 50Mb at £29.99. I think I'd be okay with paying the £29.99 and carrying on with the 23Mb speed for the time being.

Many thanks again for help on this.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

There's an even cheaper Essential package at 36Mb, or at least it should be cheaper. But you may hit the same issue trying to regrade with enforced FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

The BT Essential package is for people on Universal Credit which most likely will not be the case here if the OP can afford a second home.

BT Home Essentials Broadband | Universal Credit Broadband

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

FTTP is available, so any recontracting with your current provider, or migration to another provider will need you to take FTTP and have it installed, which obviously needs someone present to grant access etc , if your circumstances are such that you don’t want or need FTTP installed, and are happy to pay an out of contract price, simply continue on the out if contract deal  you are currently have , it may be more expensive than necessary and provide a slower speed but won’t need you to change to FTTP for the time being.

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@gg30340 

No, not Home Essential, Fibre Essential.

rbz5416_0-1711040189597.png

Despite there being some 170,00 words in the English language, it was beyond BT to come up with two different names for two different services.. For good measure they also called the basic DV phones Essential.

Then when those clever marketing folks sat down to name all of the EE packages what did they come up with?

rbz5416_1-1711040559377.png

0 Ratings