cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Yet Another Crooked BT "Deal"

Noticed this morning that I have an option to renew my package at the same price. With yet another inflation busting increase due next March I'm unlikely to do so, but had a look anyway. I've posted numerous times in the past about how when I looked at my phone options, I was offered the chance to "upgrade" from PAYG for free, to PAYG for £3pm.

Well now if I want renew my package "at the same price", I'm forced to reselect PAYG with the £3 charge.

rbz5416_0-1716189803537.png

When taken in context of the posts we see daily, I can't quite decide if BT are the most incompetent organisation I've ever dealt with or the most dishonest. Given that this "deal" not only shows an image of a SH2 but also names it, despite the fact that we know the have no intention of supplying one, I'm minded more & more towards thinking it's both...

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Yet Another Crooked BT "Deal"

For a business supposedly going through a simplification process, they do your head in don’t they? 🤣

No wonder the staff can’t keep up!

By the way, PAYG calls for your phone if you move to EE is £5 per month 😲

I thought future annual increases are capped now at £3 for broadband and £2 for TV?

I accept that may still be higher than inflation, but at least we know the number in advance now, unlike other providers or the CPI + 3.9%.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Yes, the increase is fixed at £3. But as I've alluded to previously, that disproportionately penalises those on lower speeds. So for me it's in excess of 10% & a further 10% if I was to accept their gracious offer.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Many  people complained in the past about having to take a phone service with broadband that was not wanted , and were adamant that broadband without a phone must be cheaper than a broadband service with a phone service , so that’s what is now offered .

Telephony has a cost ( or put another way , standalone broadband costs less )  the ‘cost ’is £3 ( or discount) the £3 provides a phone service on a pay as you go basis ….if the cost of broadband included this £3 and the provider said telephony on PAYG  basis is included, then you are back to the original setup , and the complaints from  many that they are forced into paying for a phone service they don’t want .

If you don’t want a phone service , take a stand alone broadband service and then you don’t pay the £3 , if you expect the phone to be included , and would prefer the £3 to be added to the broadband bill , how do you stop the complaints from those that object to paying anything for a  phone they don’t want ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@iniltous 

You seem to have missed that I already have PAYG at no cost, but BT now want to charge me £3 if I recontract.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@rbz5416 

so basically the discount you got when taking out last contract is no longer available so £3pm or no phone.  Maybe harder negotiating will get it for free again then again maybe not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

I had ‘free’ Evenings calls when telephone was mandatory with broadband ( not really free , it was a part  of the broadband price , so telephone was provided even if it wasn’t wanted ) , when those legacy calls packages Evenings , Evenings and Weekends, and Anytime were discontinued and new packages introduced, including PAYG , there still wasn’t an option to remove telephony , at my last renewal, I could have broadband without any telephony if I wanted ,  or for  £2 more ( so a £3 discount off the official price ) keep PAYG , I chose to keep telephony.

Some may be able to negotiate that £5 PAYG ‘fee’ to lower than the £2 I pay , perhaps as low as £0, but as a principle I see no issue in having to pay a little more than someone who has no telephony service at all .

If your current deal allows you to keep telephony without a cost ( or it’s listed as a separate item but at £0 ) but renewal either makes it a billable item or increases the cost from £0 , then presumably you do have a choice, don’t renew ( but potentially pay more overall than within a new minimum term )  renew  , and although the telephony is now charged for ,take the total pricing into account, if the overall price is better ….or remove telephony completely.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

It can't just be me struggling to understand how a deal can be "crooked" & "dishonest" when they're being completely upfront with all options on the website anyway

Message 9 of 12

I’ve always had PAYG with BT and never paid a monthly charge for it discounted or otherwise over the last 5 years.

When I recontract I’ll just drop Digital Voice completely like most people I suspect would, it just doesn’t get used enough.

Meanwhile, the second biggest ISP in the country offers PAYG, so if a “landline” was really important I would probably just leave completely.

I think BT/EE should offer PAYG DV as part of the basic cost of your broadband, but charge for everything beyond that, adapters, handsets, call packages etc.

Even the handset I got with BT DV was included and I did use it occasionally for which they earned some money. This way they will get nothing as most will realise how much they don’t need it.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

It’s impossible to have had PAYG before the current plans were introduced, with the ‘Evenings’ plan , all calls outside the ‘free’ period were effectively PAYG but obviously calls after 6pm until ( AFAIR ) 8am  Monday to Friday were included 

As stated ( repeatedly ) if DV on a PAYG basis we’re included in the BT broadband  price ,that’s back to the previous setup , a phone regardless of wanting one , and there undoubtedly will be those that say ‘why do have to pay for a phone service I dont  want ? ,  don’t tell me it’s free  ,  it must cost something to provide it , provide a  bill for it , maintenance of it , so take it away and give me a reduction in price ‘ .

0 Ratings