cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

change of contract cancellation fee - how to escalate complaint?

I've recently called to cancel my broadband with BT having been with them for many years and have been told there will be a £1000 (!!!???) cancellation fee!  2 months ago I called to get the landline part of my contract removed and have only broadband remaining as I don't use the landline and this apparently constitutes as a new contract although when I look it up on my account it's classed as a 'regrade of broadband and cease of phone'.  I expected a possible cancellation fee but not that outrageous amount.  I've been told all I can do is log a complaint which is responded to within the next 5 working days (apparently).  Any ideas on how or where to escalate this?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: change of contract cancellation fee - how to escalate complaint?

Cancelling the phone part of your broadband and phone contract will cancel your existing contract and start a new 24 month contract for broadband only.  If after 2 months you are now cancelling your broadband contract you will have a early termination charge of 22 months discounted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply.  That's an insane charge though... £1000 after being with BT for years??!! There must be some way to escalate this to achieve some sort of good-will gesture.  Any ideas?  I'm in touch with the CEOs office at this stage.  Any other ideas?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

As I posted your cancellation charge is based on number of months remaining on contract (22) and the monthly package cost.  This can be found in your new contract terms in your MYBT which presumably you never read before cancelling.  If you have now contacted BT CEO then it will be passed to ELC  and the forum will no longer be able to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings